"sightings log"

agross

Was wondering if we could start a sightings or activity log that could get stuck to the top of this forum section. Maybe even break it down by zone (northern, catskills with zones 3 and 4, western etc or just one big one)

The season is starting next week and i am excited to go but probably will have to wait until November 2 to get away. I think it would be cool knowing what is going on out there from you lucky guys that get to hunt much more frequently. Doesnt even have to just hunting sightings, anything backyard bucks, deer on the commute to work.

I realize there is a harvest thread but that is or should be just for the successful guys.

What do you all think.

Saw two does (mama and fawn) this am on a walk with the Mrs. in the woods in New Rochelle..westchester county...closed for hunting. These woods are loaded with suburban deer whose only predators are the cars on the parkway. Drives me crazy when I am leaving my house at 3:30am to get to my hunting and driving past a flock if deer a two minute walk away from my bed!

Saw 1 antlerless browsing in Delaware State Forest in PA on Saturday.

Saw 2 antlerless had the bow drawn on 1 this morning in 7j. Didn't get a lane.

I see these same 4 or 5 from my kitchen window as I'm feeding my son nearly every morning...one will be in the freezer after gun season opens if I haven't filled any tags:

photo-6_zps0189f1b5.jpg

Edited by 7J Everyday

Was wondering if we could start a sightings or activity log that could get stuck to the top of this forum section. Maybe even break it down by zone (northern, catskills with zones 3 and 4, western etc or just one big one)

The season is starting next week and i am excited to go but probably will have to wait until November 2 to get away. I think it would be cool knowing what is going on out there from you lucky guys that get to hunt much more frequently. Doesnt even have to just hunting sightings, anything backyard bucks, deer on the commute to work.

I realize there is a harvest thread but that is or should be just for the successful guys.

What do you all think.

Feel free to start one.

Oct. 1st (am hunt) - Saw one lonely fawn.

BTW, I think a daily log would be interesting. I visit another forum (PA) and they make a new post each day and everyone adds what they saw that day. Neat to see how things progress and how not everyone is seeing the same activity.

Edited by Cabin Fever

October 2: PM at Oak Stand:

530pm 1 Giant Doe - Missed Clean @15yds

630pm 1 6-8 Point - @ 20 yds Busted me pulling my bow back up into the stand

October 3: AM at Oak Stand:

715am 1 Doe @ 75 yards.

Let me also say that "sighting" your son get the hang of crawling off his belly at 7 months is the only thing I can think of that I enjoy more than watchin deer in the woods...definitely takes the sting off the bad luck yesterday.

Edited by 7J Everyday

October 4: AM at Dining Room Window (pictured in above post)

7:15am 1 Y Buck and 1 Doe...

Y Buck was in my lane @ 10yds and I had my bow but I did not draw...too early to pick a little buck off back here..would have taken the doe if she had presented a good opportunity.

Any of my other stands on public land around here I would have made a clean attempt on him though, and I will take in gun season if nothing else is in the freezer.

Edited by 7J Everyday

October 5: AM Orchard Stand:

7:15am 2 Doe

8:00am 2 Doe (probably same 2 come around me), drew on one broadside at 30yds and 35ft down, missed clean over the top again d-Oh!

October 6 AM: PA Oak/Hemlock/Laurel Stand:

6:45am 1 unidentified Deer in distance

7:25am 1 <3" Spike Buck, drew slightly quartering towards at 7yds, 16ft down...

...SCORED a good hit a little high and back (clipped one lung) and down on a sever angle through his belly but with no damage to the guts and with devastating power...the guts did plug the hole and give a 225yd pindrop recovery.

photo-7_zps19acaaa7.jpg

Edited by 7J Everyday

October 6, cherry stand, morning:

4 deer total. 1 buck from hitlist, 1 small buck, and 2 unknown deer. Never came closer than 85 yards.

October 7, attempted cherry stand, evening:

10 deer total, all does. 4 on my way to stand, tried to go around and ran into 4 more. Decided to go back and hit ridge stand, 2 does in field. Went back home.

October 8, ridge stand, morning:

3 deer total. Watched fawn run circles around its mom then all of a sudden a wide 1 1/2 year old 6 point showed up 30 yards away. Gave me great broadside shot for 5 minutes. Let him walk. He'll be nice in a year.

Sat Oct 13- AM

Little before 7. 8pt good size. 125 yards. Had a stare off for about 10 mins then he walked away(he was confused)

715ish- 2 momma doe and 2 sets of twin fawns (6 deer lol)

730- 6pt small body- following the 6 doe into the woods.

735- huge doe by herself going the total opposite direction as every deer this am. made me wonder..

9ish- 2 doe just grazing and minding their own business as I was walking in.

Checked my cam when I got out of the stand and the same 8pt was there about 20 mins before I got in. bummer!

*Ontario County- Canandaigua*

Saw a couple deer in 4J on opening day. Saw two black bears in 4C yesterday 10/13...first time for both me and dad to see black bear in the woods...we've been hunting in that spot for deer for a couple years now and never saw any indication that there was any bears there.

Also know that a deer was killed in 4C this morning 10/14, saw the gut pile as we were walking in this afternoon. Saw nothing all day then kicked up two right at the car, after sunset.

Edited by RPIBuckHunter

Oct 16

Pm- 14 Deer

about 445- 2 doe

5- 9 doe (pack of 5 and 4)

515 6pt and doe

530 another 6pt

So it was hard to believe that I would see so many deer tonight. wind was blowing out of the west at atleast 15 mph. But I definately saw signs of the rut starting in the very near future. There was a doe in the middle of the field and a 6pt was eye f'n her. out of nowhere another 6 ran to within 20 yards of her and then ran back to the other 6..it was weird, he then walked off.... But the 6 that was checking her out and started to follow her as she walked off. after about 10 min walk across a descent size field he put his nose down and creeped up on her fast and then she ran off....awesome to see this happening..can't wait for the does to all be in heat.....let the fun begin!

8J- canandaigua

Edited by MMMVenison