AMO ratings

Tim Martin

Where can i find the AMO rating for a bow that I just purchased? Like most, it has a IBO rating (330 fps), which we all know it overrated for any practically set up bow. Do they have a website? I can't seem to find a rating anywhere. I Just bought a "last years model" PSE Vendetta XS, which I'm very happy with, and it chronographed at 289-290 with a archery shop arrow much longer than mine. I can't recall what it was, and have no idea what brand. I need to go back with my hunting set up. It is at 58.5 pounds with a 27 inch draw, shooting a 353.38 grain arrow.

I plan on taking it back to the shop to chronograph my setup... But my issue is to get a more realistic review of my bow, and others on the market than the unrealistic IBO rating. I would think that AMO would be able to publish a website rating all new bows.

Everyone knows that when they purchase a bow and set it up, it will usually not even come close to the advertised IBO speed.

I plan on taking it back to the shop to chronograph my setup... But my issue is to get a more realistic review of my bow, and others on the market than the unrealistic IBO rating. I would think that AMO would be able to publish a website rating all new bows.

Everyone knows that when they purchase a bow and set it up, it will usually not even come close to the advertised IBO speed.

It really is hard to find good info for comparing one bow to another. And when you do find that kind of comparative info it usually involves bows that are set up in some unrealistic configuration. The problem is the amount of variables in poundage, drawlength, arrows, releasing systems, string materials, even fletching. The variables, and combinations are difficult to deal with. I don't think you will ever find a source that compares all bows and all combinations of set-ups. And the write-ups in magazines are so darn fraudulent and general that they are useless. Most of what you hear are simply manufacturer's press releases and are totally biased. And of course no magazine is going to bad-mouth an advertiser's product.

Actually, speed is quite over-rated, and there are many other features of a new purchase that should be way more important. Those things can only be evaluated by actually shooting a bunch of different bows. I would suggest that a prospective purchaser head out for the largest bow shop that he can find and prepare to spend a good chunk of a day being a huge pain in the butt by asking to shoot as many different bows as your arm can handle. Look for features like smoothness of draw, quietness, forgiveness of form problems, And at the same time, you can get a "rough" idea of the speed of each bow tried. It's a lot of effort, and will give the shop owner a pretty good work-out, but it is a substantial purchase and probably will be worth it. When you get all done, you will have a lot more knowledge than some write up on bows that are set up to some unreasonable specifications.

I know this is not really related to your question but if this is to be used for deer the arrow weight is on the light side. At the least, your total arrow weight should be over 400 with a FOC of 12% - 15%. I'd be concerned about the bows kinetic energy then FPS. Just some info for and it's just my opinion.

I know this is not really related to your question but if this is to be used for deer the arrow weight is on the light side. At the least, your total arrow weight should be over 400 with a FOC of 12% - 15%. I'd be concerned about the bows kinetic energy then FPS. Just some info for and it's just my opinion.

I understand that a heavier arrow might be more preferable. But with 353.grains going 290 fps, I have 65.94 ft-lbs, more than enough. The Goldtip Expeditions with the 100 grain Mechanicals fly amazingly well, and I'm grouping better than I ever have out to 40 yards. I think that with the spine being stout enough, I should be just fine. This bow is burying my arrows deeper (and flying flatter) than a friend who is pulling 69 #'s

Totally agree its not all about speed its about being comfortable and actuate . I remember customers coming in and looking for speed and leaving with speed and having the loudest bow in town thinking theyll never jump the string. I still shoot aluminum and getting 73% kenentic not bad for my small draw.