Pheasant release date?

Where did you go? I hit up Daketown and Elderidge lane yesterday with my dog and we found a few but that was after the woods calmed down from the onslaught of early morning. Lots of guys were at Daketown and it stunk there but we did find two there and a couple dead ones that fell victims to owls. Only saw a few guys at elderidge lane and they were done by 1230 when I left. I think they only put a 150-200 per stock and in theory they will restock mid to late week but we don't get as many as other parts of the state that have better grounds.

Where did you go? I hit up Daketown and Elderidge lane yesterday with my dog and we found a few but that was after the woods calmed down from the onslaught of early morning. Lots of guys were at Daketown and it stunk there but we did find two there and a couple dead ones that fell victims to owls. Only saw a few guys at elderidge lane and they were done by 1230 when I left. I think they only put a 150-200 per stock and in theory they will restock mid to late week but we don't get as many as other parts of the state that have better grounds.

We were at Daketown and didn't see a damn thing. Usually we are tripping over birds at that place, we have hunted there opening weekend and later into the season and always find birds. Do you know if they reduced the number of birds they stock?

We were working with a dog today and still were not able to kick anything up.

I don't think they reduced any numbers, same as last year. I think you just had bad timing, they had the youth hunt and then opening day all on one stock. I bet it gets restocked for this three day weekend coming up. I found a few out of the way spots at both spots last year and sure enough that's where I found birds yesterday. Personally I will be at preserves during gun season as it is the best way to get my dogs on birds and I don't gun hunt a whole lot.

here they released them last wednesday. I have found if you do not have a dog good luck.

Just takes slightly different tactics as the dogs usually push the fields and the birds end up in the woods hiding in thick bushs. Last year I returned to my car with 2 roosters listening to about dozen guys with dogs complaining about how there were no birds. I only hunted for 30 mins and was done and kicked up 3 others. I've been quite successful without a dog over the years but even so I can't wait to evenutally get a good bird dog!

I don't think they reduced any numbers, same as last year. I think you just had bad timing, they had the youth hunt and then opening day all on one stock. I bet it gets restocked for this three day weekend coming up. I found a few out of the way spots at both spots last year and sure enough that's where I found birds yesterday. Personally I will be at preserves during gun season as it is the best way to get my dogs on birds and I don't gun hunt a whole lot.

That makes sense, I didn't realize the youth weekend was this past weekend (29-30), I thought it was the weekend before.

Just takes slightly different tactics as the dogs usually push the fields and the birds end up in the woods hiding in thick bushs. Last year I returned to my car with 2 roosters listening to about dozen guys with dogs complaining about how there were no birds. I only hunted for 30 mins and was done and kicked up 3 others. I've been quite successful without a dog over the years but even so I can't wait to evenutally get a good bird dog!

This site where RPI went is nothing but bushes and thick stuff, lol, not even brush hogged this year. There is a big difference between a bird dog and a good bird dog, thats why I just smile when I hear the "there are no birds" guys that are packing up their over weight Lab's as I head in. No disrepect to the Lab guys here. :bye:

I love hitting stocked fields well after the initial crowds shoot up the majority of birds right out of the back of the truck. I have a Brittany who is really a family dog with an amazing nose and great drive for game. He is far from polished but that is more my fault than his. I refuse to take him to stocked places until about two weeks after releases because than he can really hunt, as opposed to just get them from the truck and worry about hunters who hang close to us to get a shot at one of his finds. More times than not we pass frustrated hunters who think the birds are all gone.

I am new to hunting this year. My husband and I have both been to Daketown twice. The first day, opening day, we met a guy coming out with two using a dog. The only bird I saw was flying very high.. not to mention the ones I saw on the side of the road during youth hunt! My husband said he saw one on our second trip but it was too far away.

I got my first Rooster yesterday, I would like to thank the guys with dogs for pushing them out of the fields and down into to the woods for me :spiteful: unfornately I missed the Hen or I would have had and amazing double!

Getting it mounted or for the table? Just curious, are pheasant feathers suitable for making fletchings?

Getting it mounted or for the table? Just curious, are pheasant feathers suitable for making fletchings?

Maybe someday when I have a little more money I will have one mounted but this time straight to a plate. I did save the tail feathers for the heck of it and I saved the wings to hang as a decoy for coyote hunting. If anyone ever wants the feathers for fly fishing let me know I would be happy to mail them to you in exchange for one of the flys you make from it :bye:

Maybe someday when I have a little more money I will have one mounted but this time straight to a plate. I did save the tail feathers for the heck of it and I saved the wings to hang as a decoy for coyote hunting. If anyone ever wants the feathers for fly fishing let me know I would be happy to mail them to you in exchange for one of the flys you make from it :bye:

If no takers on the feathers, I'd be happy to use them on my arrows.