Long Island Deer Movement

Geno C

Good Luck this weekend guys!!! I will be out tomorrow just not sure what spot i'm going to yet. My private land spot has a ton of does but not too many bucks showing up yet. I will probably stay out of there until the rut really gets going and i know the big boys will be in there. Either way i cant wait to hit the woods tomorrow.

John

do you have a cam running in there? my spot where i have a ton a doe in noticed the bigger boys are showing up and are sticking around close by, they are waiting for these does to start coming into heat. im hunting my doe spot this weekend after i pulled my card yesterday and discovered a giant buck showing up. its been at night but i would love to be there when he shows himself in the day time. i have alot of does that use this trail past my tree in very thick cover. the bucks been coming in nose to the ground the past week and half. 2 of them i have in the day time now so its a matter of time the way i see it until one of them slips up

• Like 1

We have a cam running in there but no big boys have shown up yet. Only one small 7 pointer that has been with the does all summer. We will be checking cams tomorrow and if anything good has shown up we will be hunting there in the afternoon. Here are a few of the better ones from last year.

IMG_0836.png

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_0887.png

IMG_0919.png

IMG_0886.png

IMG_0837.png

IMG_0885.png

I'm hoping some of them will start showing up again soon. I know the last one wont b/c he is hanging on my brother wall.

John

nice bucks john! i remember Mike taking that last buck

looks like you have some very nice deer running around, hope they start showing their face for you.

i got a few small bucks also in the 110" range a nice one close to 120 showed up last week and is sticking around and then i have a giant that showed up a few days ago :)

I spent a total of nine hours in the tree today and only saw one 4pt at 4;15 My buddy that got the 140 ten last week had another 140 class chasing a doe hard passed him at 7 this morning. What the F$%^ I havent seen anything going on. I saw 7 buck opening day including 3 eights and its been down hill ever since.

I sat most of the day today and didnt see one deer. I would have killed to see a 4 point walk past me today lol. We really need a cold snap bad. I wont be hunting the island again for a while since im leaving next sat for ohio for a week an then hunting upstate the following week. Good luck guys i hope you all get some big bucks down!!

John

Hey Guys,

I was in stand yesterday morning and saw a tall 4 ptr. but that was it. I still havent seen any chasing and I certainly haven't been seeing many deer at all. After this storm passes, I think we'll be in business. How could we not be?

Yesterday I noticed some deer sign that really surprised me...behind my house. I live in Sayville on a block that has a very small woodlot behind it. Sure enough, I had a lone deer track walking right behind my fence of my backyard. To think what it took for this deer to get to this woodlot is pretty crazy. I've lived here for 4 years and have been back there a number of times, never seen any deer nor sign.

Excuse the poor quality. My comp has a virus where when I browse to upload a pic it just freezes up and that's it. So I view on the comp and take a picture with my cell phone, ghetto I know lol

Here's a big boy who just showed up first time on the 22nd and comes scent checking this one deer run very often.

post-252-1351421983646_thumb.jpg

This deer here is the 12 point from last year that I had back to back days with first week in November at 20 yards and like 12 yards, no good shot each time. He put some great size on this year. Funny part is I'm 800 yards from where this deer was hanging out last season chasing does.

post-252-13514221933886_thumb.jpg

This buck right here is pretty nice also, think I got him moving around in the day on cam a few days ago, pic in the day was hard to make out cause he was in some brush...

post-252-13514223108048_thumb.jpg

Wow those are some beasts. So wierd the 12 one has great tine length on his right but not so much on his left. Car accident maybe? The first one is just a freak and the bottom one has really good mass. All three would look great on wall. Goodluck getting them in day time! Next week should break wide open

Not sure what happened to his ones side, it's been like that for years. Imagine if that side matched his other, wow lol. Funny part is see alot of 8s running around with the same charicteristis of him. My buddy shot a nice 9 last year, that same sweep on that side. He must have been passing his love around these woods for years now. And thank you, it would be nice to seal the deal on one.

Funny you called the first one a freak, I gave him the name freak jr lol... After Pete shot that 201" and called him freak I thought this one looked like a smaller version of him wih that high rack. My deer prob falls 50 or so inches short of Pete's deer tho

Buck at 5 yards with no shot? Not possible! Right?

Wrong!!! Can't believe that just happened. Around 8:15 I turn and look over my shoulder not sure if I heard something or what and there's a decent buck walking in the brush no more than six yards away. No time to get my bow in hand let alone shot. Decent eight pointer I have on camera I believe. There was no way I could have shot through brush. Guess he was walking side hill above draw I'm hunting to scent check for does. I gave him a doe bleat and he didnt respond. Once out of sight I hit horns and a few grunts. Here he comes! Slowly... 25 yards behind a tree... It's a spike. Can't catch a break.