Long Island Deer Movement

Geno C

I've posted 5 times so far this season and have only seen deer once. 4 does and a piebald spike. This is real poor as compared to how my prior 4 or 5 seasons started. But, in general, its been warm and wet and I don;t know how much they are moving. Yesterday morning conditions were pretty good. I posted in a very small spot where I didnt expect to see a lot, just hoping for one big one that I think is bedding in there. no luck. I'm seeing rubs and tracks, so they are there, just gotta stay with it.

Weekend report:

Sat

- the morning hunt showed the most movement all weekend. I was set up in a buck core area with a marginal wind. Spike came in around 7:15 looked right at me and didn't know what to make of me. Slowly meandered off. Around 8:30 a doe and fawn came from opposite direction she clearly caught my scent and started looking for me. Picked me off and busted out of there. Sat till 9:30 that was it. Spooked a deer bedded down on way out.

Cousin had a buck come in downwind of him around 8:15 got to 40-50 yards caught his wind and trotted off. Said h was wide.

- afternoon we mad plans to go in at 3 and clear some lanes from one of our stands and then go hunt another spot once we were done because wind was sw.

Drove up and there was a buck bedded right in field opening... Wind was perfect for a stalk. Backed up parked the truck and made our way along the tree line. This being my cousins first year, first day hunting I gave him lead. Told him to come over the burm in tree line at full draw. He came over burm at full draw and shot the buck in his bed. Lights out. Small racked nine pointer with a cool sticker off his base. Probably would have been a nice buck next year. But a great first deer none the less. Quickly field dressed him and got him in my truck. Quartered and in the fridge in probably less than two hours.

Sun

Thought the morning was gonna be great. Nice and cold nice n wind. To my dismay nothing...sat on field edge didn't see a thing.

Did a few fawn bleats when I got into my stand. Go to pull up my bow and a fawn is standing twenty yards. Frozen for 5 minutes holding bow half way up tree. Finally trotted off. Windy. Hopefully front will get them moving. And wind doesn't force me to go to ground

get settled in ready to go before you hit any calls... you would really beat yourself if a nice buck was standing there looking at you with your bow 10 feet off the ground on its way up.