Finding your deer after the shot

erussell

I just want to pass on that this book has been a great help to me. The information inside is dead on and I think alot of experianced hunters would agree with what is written. I would suggest this book to all. Covers all aspects of tracking a deer from hair color and size to hit locations and wait times from each wound.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jXKJpG4IgQwC&pg=PA160&lpg=PA160&dq=waiting+times+before+tracking+wounded+deer&source=bl&ots=2uAvfZU3Po&sig=fjIFWN0x-1IOsXF7FLGybCLP6bo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Be53UN7KDIyt0AG7oYGQDA&ved=0CFMQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=waiting%20times%20before%20tracking%20wounded%20deer&f=false

That is the exact book I read front to back 2 yrs ago when I gut shot my buck. It's pretty good, but it said to wait 4-6 hrs for a gut shot deer. WRONG. That should be longer. I waited 6 and a half and bumped him. It should be more like 8 hrs. I realize every deer is different though.

That is the exact book I read front to back 2 yrs ago when I gut shot my buck. It's pretty good, but it said to wait 4-6 hrs for a gut shot deer. WRONG. That should be longer. I waited 6 and a half and bumped him. It should be more like 8 hrs. I realize every deer is different though.

I would have to agree with the depends where you shot him. I find stomache is 6-8 hr's, intestins straight through a little longer but if you have an angle through alot of the intestins and into a leg then it may be shorter. Key is not to call in the national gaurd. I only allow one other person usually the one who shot it in with me while we track. One person looks at the ground while the other looks ahead with eyes and binos if need be. Slow and quiet no crashing around in a panic, keep your head. Have always found the deer, it just takes some time and a clothes pin for the nose once you find them. Gut shots blow up like a ballon after they die and stink to high heaven!!!

Edited by erussell