This wind...

growalot

has me not out hunting but it is stripping the trees nicely....Think I'll see how a couple of stands are holding up in it later...

That hard freeze we had the other night has all the trees bright yellow and red and killed of a lot of weeds in some plots and yep all the soybeans and hemp as well...the deer have all clover plots down to 2in. and are now hitting the vetch that grew in the annual plot...most turnip greens are gone and they are eating the bulbs,...I still have a couple of wild apples holding on to their mast...WR is still standing well...so are the radish

Deer here, have stop feeding on the radish. Think the top growth is to rank. I'm still feeding on some of the smaller tubers. Nice mild flavor. Wonder how canning them would turn out? Tried freezing but turn to mush when thawed. Have 3 planting dates on the oats. Little experiment. They eat a patch the size of a kitchen table on the 10" ones, on one plot, not touching the 3" at all. Also summer fallowed the tall ones. The shorter were hay land roto tilled and planted. No fert on any. The young bucks come in and prefer the wheat. The doe and young eating the clover, vetch, fine timothy, and oats. Nothing is touching the turnip. Mornings have them locked up eating leaves from the low growing shrubs and wind drop, in the woods, early light on. Seem to prefer the maple.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Oh my gosh...they demolished the oat field....I planted it in a field I had not killed but disced in the weeds clover and chicory ...Then disced in WTI forage oat seed with WR...the oats took there sweet time coming up but darn if the clovers and chicory didn't come back twice as strong...the WR kept it green until the oats sprang up

That week the deer mowed the entire thing...Mr. B came home last night and said there were 5 lrg turkey and a herd of deer in there...I have not hunted that area since opening week...

Edited by growalot

Would say that 75% of our leaves are already on the ground. Seems early for October 18th. Seems like we've had our share of high winds already this season. Tonight gust front went through dry, but the leaves blew to the next county, LOL. More should be on the ground , so hunting the woods in the morning, Good luck everyone. Wish u deer success.

i decided to hang a lock on on some private land i hunt today cause the wind and heat.Got in the hard woods and it was actually kinda calm compared to the field i walked through.It was quite noizy though.Found a rub line but still no scrapes?I know there are some knarly bucks in this area too.

We definitely got into some heavy wind yesterday. The trees were bending over and a lot of leaves were coming down. However, for most of the immediate area, there are still quite a few leaves still hanging on the trees.

It kind of made me wonder just how much such a heavy wind might affect impact points on a target (or deer). I have to admit that over all these years, I can't recall doing much shooting in super-high winds. I probably should have flung a couple yesterday to see what they do. It would have been a good "cross-wind" to my arrow flight.

I practice in hard winds.......I think I'd want to be in a sheltered area or taking a very close shot to hunt the kind of winds we had yesterday...

I'll be out tomorrow...today back was killing me and now it's pouring out...but went to check cams...they were in the process of cutting the corn field ...hhmm I suppose this will put an end to that...darn!!!...found a fresh scrape...Well it's hailing out now....