Wow were the woods still this morning...

nybuckboy

I can't remember the woods so still... no wind... nada... zilch. I released a half dozen milk weed puffs w/o the seed and it never farther than 10 ft and hit the ground. Once went straight down.

Maybe that's why I saw no deer either. Perhaps they don't care to move w/o some wind carrying scent for them to maneuver. It would make sense that ideally they probably like a 5 - 10 mph breeze.

I can't remember the woods so still... no wind... nada... zilch. I released a half dozen milk weed puffs w/o the seed and it never farther than 10 ft and hit the ground. Once went straight down.

Maybe that's why I saw no deer either. Perhaps they don't care to move w/o some wind carrying scent for them to maneuver. It would make sense that ideally they probably like a 5 - 10 mph breeze.

I'm not too sure what the deer think about absolutely dead quiet surroundings, but I will say that I am not too fond of those conditions. I always feel so darned vulnerable. Kind of like every breath I take, or movement I make stands out to any deer within range. It's nice to be able to hear and see a deer from a long distance, but they can hear and see everything that you do as well. I prefer a little cover-breeze. Not a howling wind, but just enough to get a few leaves moving, and cover at least some of those subtle sounds that you make when you re-position yourself and draw your bow. A little breeze also keeps the scent direction just a little more constant too.

• Like 1

Surf was up today in fact. Did a day run to a favorite spot, all the grey squirrels were fat, size of small cats I thought. About an hour before sundown I spotted some movement. Passed on a doe, good size 6 maybe an 8 was on her tail. Doe practicaly walked under my climber/spot then cut left, and don't you know the buck takes a shortcut on the other side of brush - no shot. He had his nose up checkin the wind at times.

f@(& thems the breaks.

Edited by Fantail