Feeding deer legal again

What exactly is the law on this ? If you shoot a deer that is on a trail leading to a bait pile is that illegal or does it have to be at the bait pile itself? Everyone I see a violator written up it states the deer was illegally shot OVER bait...

seriously?

Last I heard, the law still stands in all the counties other than Sullivan. And the DEC was working on cleaning up the wording of the law to remove the ambiguities that allowed the law to be overturned in Sullivan County. Don't ask me what it is that is taking months and months to do this. In the meantime, the DEC is soft-peddling the enforcement of the law to avoid any other test cases in other counties that might make it become overturned elsewhere. It's all rumor and third-person reports, so I wouldn't rush right out there and start constructing bait piles .... lol. As far as hunting trails leading to bait piles, the illegality lies in the bait location itself. At least that's the way the law is currently worded (who knows how some ambitious warden or J.P. might interpret it). Certainly I would hope hunters would not be expected to avoid trails on the possibility that there might be somebody's illegal bait pile a half mile or so down the trail.

I'm thinking the difference between baiting and feeding is simply intent. But either way, as far as I have heard, they both are still illegal activities except in Sullivan County.

yes, both illegal, but the reason behind them are totally different.

Both baiting and feeding are very closely interlinked. The motives may be different, but the potential impacts on wildlife can be exactly the same. So, the reasons that people might do each may or may not be different, but the results and the reasons for the laws are the same ...... That would be the close concentration of deer into a very specific point of oral interaction.