Venison Ham

Salmon_Run

I have heard of it being done , but I think it would dry out the meat . No fat in the meat ,I would inject some sort of marinade or better yet , inject some warmed ,liquid pork fat with some spices mixed in. Seems like a lot of meat to screw up if it doesn't work.

i have never done it myself but had the chance to sample cured and slow smoked venison ham and it was very good. should be cured with that pink curing powder stuff(forget the name)for 24 hours, including injection into large muscle groups. its smoked at very low temp around 180-200 degrees for like 16 hours depending on the size. sliced very thin its excellant and pretty much tastes just like ham, hot or cold on sanwiches very good....

• 3 months later...

yes I have smoked a venison ham u can get a smoke venison ham kit from Lem.com it is very easy to make just follow the instructions and it will come out fine I use Mesquite wood chips in my smoker that I made from old freezer it realy has a good recipe just make sure u follow the instructions on prepping the meat it takes any where from 8 hours or more depending on your smoker and how much smoke flaver u want make sure your internal temp is at 165 at the thickest shank very easy to do