how a 2 year old helps you get ready to hunt

sidewinder

Hahaha gotta love it! I gave my son an old grunt tube to play with, it sounds like a cross between a duck call and a doe bleat when he walks around the house with it.

ahhhhhhhhh yes the sound of music lol i have since discovered to put ALL calls up and out of reach lol

True story, (Skip 2 second paragraph if you don't care about the hunt and only want to hear about the 2 year old's involvement) 2 years ago on Thanksgiving day during NY's rifle season I left work early and rushed home to grab my shotgun and go running out and grab the last few mins of shooting light. I'm running up the mountain trying to get to my spot when I see a buck chasing a doe about 75 yards away. I begin to swing on him and getting ready to fire when he hits a opening but when he hits the opening, He stops giving me a perfect 75 yard broadside shot. I put the sight on his heart pull the trigger and BANG!!! he hunchs up like hes hit and flips down out over the hill out of site. I run over to where I shot him to look to see where he ran givig me a sweeping view down the mountian out about 200 yards. I see nothing!!!! I start glassing with my bino's, NOTHING, I start walking a zigzagging pattern back and forth looking for blood NOTHING. I search all over NOTHING. So I go home and the next day at work I call my father and tell him I missed a buck and explain the story. After listening he said to me that he thinks I definitely hit that if I look hard I'll find him. So explain the story to my boss leave early and form a search party with my wife and 2 year old son. The more eyes the better the chances.

So I go out with my wife and my 2 year old son on my shoulders. We begin by walking up a road that the deer would have crossed searching for blood even hoof prints in the mud that would indicate where he went NOTHING. Then I suggested to go where I shot him and we would work our way down looking for sign, blood, hair, dead deer etc.. When we get to the place I shot him I start explaining to my wife where I was and the direction he would have run etc when my son started screaming "Deer, daddy daddy deer look deer daddy daddy!" Ignoring him I was trying to talk to my wife but he started boucning screaming "Daddy Daddy Deer DAddy Daddy Deer!!" Frustrated I looked up at him to tell him be quiet and I see he is pointing down. I look to see my buck right in front of me with its rear legs between my wifes feet and we never noticed it!!!! It had dropped right where I shot it and its front half rolled under a log. Never to young to get them started :bye: