turkeys roost same tree all night???

arrow nocker

Had a bunch of turkeys come in behind me on the other side of the little valley i was backed up to.They were coming my way then flew to roost.I sat past dark so they didn't spook.Think they will be there in the morning?I might just go get me some turkey dinner.Set up in the hard woods 100 yrds away and wait till sunrise.Then call em in.

They will be in those trees tomorrow morning..

You might call in the flock off the roost after they fly down.. And then again you might not.. Setting up 100 yards from the roost is not a real high percentage plan...You might better go in in full darkness and set up right where you expect them to fly down.

If the terrain is right, you might be better off to walk right under the roost at daybreak and bust them off in all directions, and then settle in and call some birds back.

You never know...Good luck in the morning..

Edited by Pygmy

I'm too late to help you with this morning, but generally if I get a flock roosted, I get pretty excited. I will go back in when it is still DARK in the morning and set up as close to the roosting trees as I dare, and then sit tight, quiet, and as motionless as possible. Turkeys often work and scratch/feed a bit initially off of the roost.

I have noticed that when they roost on a ridge, they will fly down onto the ridge itelf.

When they roost on a sidehill, they tend to glide toward the uphill side, instead of the downhill side. This is not a guarantee, just a tendency.

I don't like to bust them out of the roost, because they tend to all fly in the same direction and don't come back to a call (they don't need to re-group). If you want to bust them, I suggest doing it while they are in the ground, and create chaos for them so that they scatter in several directions. Then it's a lot of fun to call them back in as they want to re-group! Note that a bachelor group of mature toms generally won't call back in as easily, if at all. A flock of mixed birds generally will.

Good new is fall flocks tend to roost in same area for days/weeks. you still can get a crack at them .but its not like spring get as close as you can ,or bust em out of the trees and call the scattered flock back. good luck!

Edited by G-Man

They came back again.I was about 150 yards from the last spot they roosted.I was about to use one of my rage 2.3's on one of the gobblers if he cam close enough.They just went on their way away from me.So i decided i would just leave and get out of the rain.Too bad i wan't big into turkey hunting.Those things are in there like Mad.

• 1 month later...

Turkeys are fun. There's a hundred ways to ruin a turkey hunt, but you can never go wrong with busting the flock and trying to call them back in.

If it doesn't work, it's still funt o tell your friends how you snuck up as quiet as possible just to run in screaming and hollering making so much noise it ruins deer hunting for your ancestors.....

Good luck. Enjoy the woods.