Opening Day Hangovers

RTF

I dunno about NY,but in Pa you can and will get a DUI if you are on public or private property and have the keys on your person,in your trunk,up in the tree,don't matter. What I mean by private property is for instance,you figured you would sleep it off somewhere other than your own property.Just because the keys are not in the ignition does not mean you have no intent.You can't prove you won't drive,and they don't need to prove you have intent....you are drunk,therefore you lose.

Marcygirl i completely agree with you. but if someone does choose to drink and knows its not a good idea to drive and does the right thing by sleeping it off whether its in the back of their pick up truck or in the back seat of the car i dont see any way a DWI can be given.

WNYBUCK, NO YOU CAN NOT! Trust me i know. I dont know where you get your info but def. dead wrong. You cant be on private property and be arrested for a DWI.

care to share how you definitely know and why anyone should trust your advice? since you say WNYBUCK is dead wrong it would be interesting to know how you're 100% right.

Like I said in previous posts you have to have the keys in the ignition "running" with intent to drive "or as the article says "be in control of the vehicle"

And I think control of the vehicle is the gray area right? If they're in your pocket many say you are in control and looks like a few members have actual history. For what it's worth though, that link is from a practice in Georgia and every state has different laws

Funny thing is that it looks like even attorneys in new york have varying answers if you read through this page

http://www.lawqa.com/qa/can-you-legally-get-dui-sleeping2

Edited by Belo

Getting a dwi sucks. I got one in 2004, at the age of 25. December 23. Company xmas party. Had to sell my snowmobile to pay the attorney fees. That sucked because I really loved that sled. I think I loved it more than my better half at the time. Lesson learned. Cant drink a case of beer, a bottle of blackhaus, and get behind the wheel. So, needless to say, ill sleep it off in the morning and to to the stand later that afternoon. No more drinking and driving for this cat.

Edited by tughillhunter

to say you can't be arrested for DWI on private property is laughable, let's see....Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc, all private property, but somehow you can be issued tickets for parking in Handicapped spots and fire zones.......how do you explain that?

I know of people in my own town that have been given a DWI for mowing their lawn while drunk, on their lawn tractor, on their own private property. I also know of farmers that got them from driving their tractors drunk.