What time will you be in your stand and are you sitting the whole day?

burmjohn

Hopefully I will be settled in a stand by 6:30 opening day . I have about a steep downhill walk so I plan to take a folding web chair to leave by the Doghouse Blind and then go another 80 yards to a ladderstand that we setup last week . I will be alone so I want to take it easy . If I get tired I can go back to the blind and sack out inside ........... If I don't score in the am , I plan to be there for the day .

It is usually getting light way before legal sunrise...I like going in under cover of darkness and the first day the deer will still be moving back to their bedding areas well after legal sunrise 6:45-7:45am...I go in 1 1/2 hours before light...get settled in set up and relaxed...listening for other early morning activities....buck fights...animal movements and so forth......After that first week end ...movements change...every body around has smells and grunts ...tic tic rattle...crunching through the leaf covered woods...they start coming off the feeding areas much earlier and start going into the mid day and very late afternoon routines....being a woman...I stay put until...well my bladder says different :-[ ...You guys have it easy and much more discreet...but I now have several blind enclosed tree stands ;)

Look in marine catalogs for the "Lady J" adaptor and pee bottle.

thanks for the tip...but that thing was made by a man I believe :-[ :) ...See woman still have to partially disrobe as it were....lol...I learned a long time ago...NO Coffee or tea for me! :P

Yeah, still not terribly convenient but easier than a bottle alone. Always encouraged to hear about ladies who hunt. I hope I'll get to hunt with my grandaughters when they get a little older. My grandson has already bagged two deer. Good luck with your season.

Ed

You to Ed...and get them girls out....I taught our daughter and son to bow hunt way back when....Mr. B wont bow hunt....they have both grown up going to camp and hunting..... her first was a 6pt in bow and then an 8pt first year in gun...our son has 2 doe under his belt..and hoping to take a buck at his own house this year in archery...They all go to camp the first week and I hunt here at home(trespassers >:( )...but we do get time together at camp

Nothing like a warm wood fire ...good food... laughs and gin rummy...watching the smiles when some one tags out...I luv the fact at 28 and 24 our son and daughter hunt the same stand together...and still mange to get deer with all the talking ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess again I am the freak. I go in about 830 or 9 am. I usually find myself going out when others are coming in.  Opening morning I was in the stand before daylight an dstayed until 10:30.  Back out at 2 in a different stand after getting some things done at camp.  But as I was saying as the season moves on, I tend to hunt sifferent houra. I have killed more deer between 10am and noon than any other time. I find that the deer pattern hunters movements and tend to move more during the "normal" down times.  I usually hunt very successfully  9 or so until 3. 

I don't hunt from a stand so I start my day later when the sun is just coming up. I have hunted with a recurve and cedar arrows for the last 10 years and really want to take a buck from the ground. I have been unsuccessful for all those years. My fault.. I'm picky about the quality of buck i will shoot and have passed on nearly 50 smaller deer over the past 10 yrs. I try to hunt most of the day when I do hunt although I'll grab an hour or two here and there if thats all my schedule allows.

Around home where I have permission to hunt in the park lands, I am in the ladder stand 30 minutes before daylight and out at 9 or 10 depending on how much wind, sun and hunters pushing around there is. 

I also like getting in at 4:00 and hunting just as late as possible.  I am usually in thick stuff so that means it is pretty dark.  But I only do this with firearms and my big Leupold - I dont want to stick a deer with a bow in the afternoon because that means the yotes will probably get it and not me

:D (I think crossbow should be MANDATORY for afternoon hunting if youre going to hunt with a bow)