Respecting other hunters

I was pheasant hunting inThe Great Swamp today.

While I was watching my dogs working a bird inside some thickets on the back side of a field a guy snuck up on me, I just happened to turn around and he was 20 feet from me. Normally I would have seen him but I was concentrating on the dogs in a tight spot. He never said a word until I turned around and he says"Don't Shoot!" A little warning that he was there would have been nice. He tried to ask me about the dogs but I told him they were hot on a bird and ignored him. Just then a hen flies and I take a second to set and shoot. As I pull the trigger I feel this Woosh from behind me and can not hear from my left ear anymore. This A Hole shot at the same time at a bird my dogs pointed and got up in the air. He takes off after the bird and says Good Luck!

Is there no respect for others hunters? I called in my dogs and left. This guy was walking the woods outside the fields hoping to take birds from hunters with dogs. Following around the outside is bad enough but to shoot from behind me was dangerous. I still have the ringing in my ear. Wish I could afford to join a club so I would know who is lurking around.

If you come across other hunters please repect them and let them know where you are!

I often hunt the great swamp and cranberry mountain and I don't have a dog and I try to stay away from the guys with dogs as I often push the edges of the woods instead of the fields. I always try to be respectful of other hunters and I love dogs but I must admit a lot the guys I see have very poorly trained dogs that are more curious about coming over and saying hi and licking me then chasing birds and these guys spend more time blowing whistles and yelling then hunting. I recommend if you hunt either of these places try to avoid weekends because it can be a little busy

WOW unreal. Just as in life not everyone shows respect while hunting.

I had a guy tell my hunting partner of over 20 years that he was tracking a buck with his son and if he saw it that it was thiers. Funny thing is I saw the "buck" they were tracking and it was a big doe... Funny how that works out... No doe hunting in the area we were in.

Hope your hearing comes back ok! Some people show no repect while hunting, fishing or in lifes everday afairs... And thats why DEC, ECO and police in general are needed... I have seen several people just get out of thier vehecles and shoot into the woods next to my camp or hunting area, when I explain that people are in the woods they look at me like it's impossible. I have had people fire a round off next to our camp but the other party let us know it was about to happen and they checked the woods before shooting... Some are respectfull others are not and are usually idiots...

UNBELIEVABLE...Doesn't surprise me at all. Pheasant hunting is just as bad as deer huntning is. I went out yesterday to do some Crow hunting, but due to all the bow hunters, decided not to hunt. I could of hunted, but with a lot of vehicles in the area, was not worth it. I to laugh at the bird hunters with their whistles and hollering, here boy, here boy. Thats why I like yote hunting. You go at night when everybody is sleeping. You did the right thing by leaving. As much as you wanted to do something, it's not worth it in the end.

wow, i probably would've smashed his face with the butt of my gun (theoretically speaking, of course).. I'm quite positive that you need to pass a safety course to obtain a sporting license. And I'm also quite sure, gun safety is a huge part of that class!! I feel that those safety rules should be set to laws!! He fired a gun too close to you, and behind you, which is a serious no-no in my opinion. You mentioned your ears are still ringing.. You only get one set of ears, you can't replace or fix them. Ringing is a sign of permanent damage, or physical harm in other words... ASSAULT!! That guy should be fined and banned from that area.

Thats worse than following the stocking truck. Think about it - another hunter about has a bird pegged and he bee-lines over and steals the shot. Not to mention he shot carelessly...

Dog breeders will tell you otherwise but the majority of bird dogs you are going to need to yell & whistle at for two or three seasons. Training is great but there is an aspect of training known as generalization and until that dog gets some actual on the job experience AND reaches an age of emotional maturity, its going to need to be voice handled in the field during the excitement of actually hunting. Its part of bird hunting and it always has been. The person who has a dog which is an exception to the rule is lucky!