A good discussion on arrow setup

nybuckboy

I see many of us talking about their broadheads. I think one of the most important points that is missing is the talk about proper arrow setup. I've read about people who swear by Rage 2 Blade and others who don't think they will penetrate bone. Others swear by Muzzy, G5 Montec (my choice), Snuffers, ect.

I never gave much thought to this until this year. I just bought good arrows, put on the 100 gr tips and shot. After a lot of research about arrow weight and proper Front of Center I completely changed my arrow setup.

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin at 60lbs and my 16 yo son shoots a PSE Chaos at 52 lbs. We were both shooting a 28" Beman MFX with a 100 gr tip. The total arrow weight was 405 gr with an FOC of about 8.5%

I have setup my arrows a little different. I added 50 gr of weight to the tip internally by inserting the HIT weight from the nock end with a little epoxy. If you order new arrows you should have these set up from the tip end initially.

This added just 50 gr to total arrow weight up to about 455 gr but moved by FOC to over 13%. I recently shot at a bow shoot with others drawing more weight but my arrows consistently penetrated deeper and were harder to pull out than the others. I had my sons new arrows set up like mind brand new and his arrows weigh 450 gr and his FOC is almost 14%. His arrows were penetrating about the same as the other guys pulling more weight.

You loose a few ft per sec but I believe the impact and kinetic energy is worth it, particularly when and if you hit bone.

Your thoughts?

There was an article in the last (current) issue of Bow Hunting discussing arrow set-up for penetration.

Author prefered penetration vs the larger, heavier arrows that gave more kinetic energy.

Interesting article, but to each his own choice.

BTW - my arrow set-up was almost exactally what your original S/U was.

I also played around to see what occurs with FOC if you add weight. I know the trad guys all add up to 100 gr to upfront to help get peneration.

I found that the .243 bullet copper will fit inside the 400 easton carbon shaft. I pulled my points / insert and added the .243 in 80 gr point with epoxy to the front of the arrow, I then with epoxy put back in the point / insert. I left dry for 24 hour. I found I did have to resight in the bow, but sure found that I get a lot more peneration on my 3D targets and seem to get great arrow flight.

Bill