Bear Lure...

• 3 weeks later...

I checked around< DOc and there isn't musch I can find. I would think if it can't be consumed they could not classify it as baiting. I could wear apple scent as a scent cover for deer...or vanilla and they are bait in the food form...I guess if someone wanted to roll in Bacon grease to attract a bear he could call it cover scent :)

Lol ...... That is a little above and beyond the call of duty. Besides, that sounds like it would have the potential of turning the hunter into bait ......... Probably not a great idea.

Doc

glad you asked...I spent a lot of time calling around the states DEC offices and got different answers....The law states no more that 1.5  fluid oz of lure are allowed...see I wanted to do honey burns ....so here is what one DEC officer...capt told me that once you take say a rag or wood chips and soak them in say honey or bacon grease...they are no longer fluid ...so much more can be used to burn...or hung....now I called reg 8 reg 9 and they even had me call some poor guy that I caught heading out the door on a mid west Elk hunt....they didn't know he was on vacation...but he was still nice enough to answer my ? .....I quess thats the loop hole...but...It depends on what DEC reg and officers your dealing with...so call them...because I said wait I don't want reg 9 saying I'm good to go and reg 8 arresting me......

I always suggest that any inquiries that you make regarding hunting legalities, try to get it in writing ..... email works good. And try to get names. A telephone call just doesn't provide any proof that you were told what you think you were told. When the time comes that you have to try to prove what you were told, everybody will suddenly develop a lapse in memory.....lol.

Doc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well did you read this weeks Out Door News? Because it's news to me that it is LEGAL to feed bear as long as the site is cleaned up 9 days prior to the season opener and no food bait is used during season and they did mention the 1.5 oz limit on liquid bear lure

So heres the ? how can you legally feed bear and not get fined for deer coming to a bait/feeding site?

Touring Alaska, the Pope took a couple of              days off to visit the mountains for some sight seeing. Cruising the              campground in the

Pope-mobile, he witnessed a frantic commotion just at the edge of the              woods.

A helpless Democrat, wearing sandals, shorts, a "Save the Whales"              T-shirt and a Tree Hugger Hat, was struggling frantically, thrashing              around trying to free himself from the jaws of a 10 foot

grizzly.

The horrified Pope watched, a group of Republican loggers came racing              up. One quickly fired a 44 magnum into the bear's chest. The other              two reached up and pulled the bleeding semiconscious Democrat from              underneath the bear. Then using long clubs, the three loggers beat              the bear to death and two of them threw it onto the bed of their              truck while the other tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the              back seat.

As they prepared to leave, the Pope summoned them to come over. "I              give you my blessing for your brave actions!" he told them. I heard              there was a bitter hatred between loggers and

environmental activists, but now I've seen with my own eyes that that              is not true."

As the Pope drove off, one of the loggers asked his buddies "Who was              that guy?"

"It's the Pope," another replied, "he's in direct contact with God              and has access to all God's wisdom."

"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all God's wisdom, but              he sure doesn't know anything about bear hunting... By the way, is              the bait holding up okay or do we need to go back to town and grab              another one?"

:D :D :D :D :D

During hound training season it is legal for hound hunters to put baits out.  Sweet stuff works well (DEC uses Little Debbie snack cakes in its bear traps!). There is a current proposal to require hounders to keep records of all bait pile locations and who is authorized to tend them.  

I do have a neighbor who dumped bacon grease out his kitchen window and lured in a 400 pounder.  This is strictly illegal!