Hunting in Utica

Twax10

I've recently moved to Utica (new hartford) and was just looking for some input on the area, how the hunting is, or just any general suggestions. I am an avid deer and waterfowl hunter and love to small game and coyote hunt later in the year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

there is a few state land areas along 365 and rte 49 corridors in rome and in marcy. can read up on those sites on dec website. they stock them with game birds. theres always brookfield and tassle hill in waterville 30mins away. might want to wear as much orange as humanly possible in those areas but they produce some good deer, or you can go north along rte 12 to state land.

just saw a pic of a darn nice buck that got hit by a truck that died at a friends parking area to some land he hunts that is probably pushing 140 inches right in new hartford. they are out there, few and far between but they are there.

• Like 1

Years ago friends and I hunted Hinkley Resivoure State Land, just outside of Utica. We had some decent luck there. My one buddy took two wall hangers out of there and one big black bear. This was back in the mid to late 90's but Im sure it's still pretty good.

Years ago friends and I hunted Hinkley Resivoure State Land, just outside of Utica. We had some decent luck there. My one buddy took two wall hangers out of there and one big black bear. This was back in the mid to late 90's but Im sure it's still pretty good.

forgot about hinkley, another great place to hunt. friends house borders the state land there he sees bear regularly.

Tyman

I grew up in Utica but haves lived most of my adult life in Waterville. There are thousands of acres of public hinting here and in Brookfield. Other than opening day and the first weekend of fun season you can have most of it to yourself. It's not like the old days with a hunter behind every tree. Good luck finding someplace that feels right to you, and happy hunting.

Turkey hunting is pretty good in that area...Lots of them off of Rte 5 (I think that is road).

Never really deer hunted much there...seemed like deer numbers were much lower than I was used to seeing here in wNY. Saw a few good ones though. I used to work at the old Herbie Phils in New Hartford when I lived there.