A one-off from the trespassing threads

Suilleabhain

My gun club has owned 167 acres in 3A since 1950. As I grew up there we could easily hunt 1,000 acres without question. We would wonder on their's they would wander on ours, we would do drives with other clubs and neighbors, I had one guy that would walk under my stand every season. We called him baldy, hunted without a hat and was bald as an egg. Got to where I'd see him coming and have a cup of chicken soup waiting for him. It has only been in the past call it 20 years that the new owners around us have said no trespassing. Some don't even hunt, just don't want people there. I do dilike road hunters and we chased them off but, the neighbors, never. All someone had to say is I'm a friend of so-and-so or I'm a member of and it was good to go.

Times change

And a funny aside to the one-off. When my brother was like 16 they did a drive with another club way in the back that was barely accessable with 4-wheelers. As they posted the drivers, each was told you are here to hunt deer, whatever else you see, you remeber you didn't see it. My brother thinks what the hell is he talking about. As he's walking he comes up on a still, Okay now I get it.

Found another still hunting in East Nassau in Rennsalear Cty.

Yeah, we always got along with neighbors and it was good to go on their property and good for them on ours. some where in the mid 90's people decided it was their deer, and now complain nothing is moving..no deer seen, the "lost guy walking around sure moved a lot of deer" miss those days of cooperative drives, though we have rekindled that in muzzleloader with the surrounding camps..

And a funny aside to the one-off. When my brother was like 16 they did a drive with another club way in the back that was barely accessable with 4-wheelers. As they posted the drivers, each was told you are here to hunt deer, whatever else you see, you remeber you didn't see it. My brother thinks what the hell is he talking about. As he's walking he comes up on a still, Okay now I get it.

Found another still hunting in East Nassau in Rennsalear Cty.

I have to ask- how old is your brother? Prohibition ended a long, long time ago... Or maybe the folks in those parts think it's still in effect?

I never found a still in the woods, but I often come across little cultivated garden patches fenced in with chicken wire....

Must be some kind of vegetable that grows in little clearings in the woods and brushlots, out of sight of helicopters and such....hehehehe....

I never found a still in the woods, but I often come across little cultivated garden patches fenced in with chicken wire....

Must be some kind of vegetable that grows in little clearings in the woods and brushlots, out of sight of helicopters and such....hehehehe....

You should see some of the patches we find in the middle of cornfields when we are chopping it for the cows. Goes through the chopper just like the corn. Sometimes our cows are happier than others... The best part is watching some burn-out in a drug-rug walking through the field the next day all depressed...

From what I see on TV there still are moonshiners. I had some from Tenn. once and I could have run my truck on it. As far as "vegie" gardens go my camp was a grow house with the large BR insulated with 2" styrofoam including the windows and a vent fan blowing under the cabin. The small BR had incubators. I'm afraid to light a pipe of apple tobacco for fear that a swat team might come rappeling down the hill.lol

the growers around here actually rip up the corn and plant their stuff right in the row using the farmers fertilizer. One of my good friends has a rather large grain farm and owns/farms thousands of acres and he said if he really wanted he estimates he could double his current income with how much he sees combining.