Don't forget about late does!

WhitetailAddict11

Don't forget about those last remaining estrous does boys! Had a small 7 pointer push a group of 6 does across every inch of ground near my stand this morning so I had a feeling one of them was hot. Sure enough right at last light this evening he pushed a single doe in front of my stand, and I'm guessing she was the hot one of the group that he was finally able to break away from the group. Judging by her body language and the way she was reacting to him, I'd say she was ready to give the youngin' what he was looking for at some point tonight. Hug those doe bedding areas on a wind that works for a buck slightly more than it works for you and hold tight! Excellent day time movement today.

I shot an eight point today that was on the trail of a lone doe that passed through 15 minutes earlier. He wasn't grunting, but his nose was on the ground right in her trail. He was big, but leaned right down to nothing almost. On the hanging scales he weighed 180, but looked like he should have weighed a lot more, but even his fat along his backbone was down to almost nothing. I concur about the daytime movement. I saw a lot of deer, including two other bucks. Almost no shots in my hearing, and I am up high on a hill.

Thanks, and traditionally I do have good luck late in the season. People give up too easy and say there are no deer in their woods. All I do is let the first week go by and watch everybody give up. There are a ton of deer in the area I hunt, but I constantly hear that if you don't get a buck on opening weekend, you have to get real lucky.

The opening weekend and last weekend I saw hunters moving through the woods in my area, and heard a few shots. Yesterday, I saw no hunters, and my shot was the only one on my ridge. The does are still coming in, the fawns will come in, and hunters are staying home. Yesterday was perfect in my area. Cool, but not brutal, steady medium wind, and crunchy so you could hear the deer coming.

• Like 1

Growalot, unfortunately after a calamity of errors all I have is a picture of a half skinned buck hanging. I have heard of people having problems with pens, but it never happened to me until yesterday. usually I just hold a lighter to the tip if needed, and it will write. Well, yesterday it didn't work and before it was over, I had a broken pen and ink all over my hands and somehow, I found out a while later, on my face. Then, the pen finally wrote like a charm.

I have a long drag from where I hunt because four wheelers are not allowed. Well, I had a camp chair, fanny pack, my rifle, and my deer. Unfortunately for me, my buddy decided to hit the sauce Friday night so I had nobody to help. Then, when i finally get to my car, it is like a barren desert. Nobody goes by to help me get my deer in my trunk. Finally, I tied the head to one of the hinges and lifted the deer in.

Now, I get in my car and see ink all over my face, and of coarse like a dumb ass, I have to smeer it more. Finally, i got to my buddie's house and got cleaned up. By that time, he had it hung and mostly skinned. Although it is a nice example of a mature deer, it is nothing special in the antler department. That is alright with me. I ate my tag last year, and held out for a bigger deer and just couldn't come up with a nice rack. I will try for a late archery buck as long as the hunting pressure stays as low as it was this weekend.

Getting back to the post topic, all I can say is don't give up. Find some thick spots that have food close by that are off the road and harder to get to. As a rule, people are lazy, and don't want to have to walk in very far. Get away from the hunters, and you will find the deer and some late season bucks. Just the simple fact that the farm I hunt doesn't allow four wheelers makes it a great spot because it is uphill 300 yards before you even hit the woods.