Anybody using an AR15 where allowed in NYS?

tony m

Due to extreme pressure on deer from those in a hunting club where I hunt, I am now hunting on logging company land, way at the back of the hollow right up to the ridges.

I am going to take my AR out for the first time deer hunting. Been hearing good feedback from online forums and from a couple personal contacts.

Would like to here from more people in NYS though, especially if there is anyone in the Southern Tier and 9x.

Was wondering the same thing about the 223's performance on deer.

You are going to have a bunch of people that have never shot a deer with a 223 say that its not big enough and if you make poor shot etc etc... I hunted with a 223 for years on several different platforms, bolt action, Ar, mini-14. Bottom line 223 in a deers chest is a dead deer. No problems

You are going to have a bunch of people that have never shot a deer with a 223 say that its not big enough and if you make poor shot etc etc... I hunted with a 223 for years on several different platforms, bolt action, Ar, mini-14. Bottom line 223 in a deers chest is a dead deer. No problems

.223 is too light for deer plain and simple i dont care how you wanna spin it, .308 if you really want to get the job done effectively. the .223 was designed to kill humans, sister to the .222 for killing chucks.

.223 is too light for deer plain and simple i dont care how you wanna spin it, .308 if you really want to get the job done effectively. the .223 was designed to kill humans, sister to the .222 for killing chucks.

Might as well get a 50cal barrett with that attitude! I wont spin anything... show me real life experiences of well placed shots with a 223 that did NOT kill a deer, and ill believe u. For now, i use a 6mm and have no problems killing deer, quickly and with one shot. Never lost one yet.

Edited by TreeGuy
  • Like 1

i wouldn't recommend it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. What you're using is an assault rifle designed for mid range confrontation. Notice snipers do not use these, they use rifles with good scopes and better ergonomics for a single accurate shot vs multiple.

again, they will work but I think you can do better for a deer gun.

my guns are like golf clubs, each has its place on where I decide to hunt, the heavy barreled AR in the pic is for an open area where I can shoot out to 240yards, I have a much lighter AR for work in the woods.............then again, I'm waiting on a 338lapua to arrive.................maybe that'll be enough gun? :) or not

I wasn't being sarcastic. I am being serious. I dont know much about them, but from what I understand they aren't cheap. So people aren't buying them to save $, right? So I'm asking if they out perform rifles, and if so, for what type of species, etc.?

I wasnt being sarcastic either, I dont understand the hate of the "EBR" evil black rifle..............they shoot good, whats wrong with that, you can buy uppers in multiple calibers, from the 17hmr, to rounds worthy of elk and big bears, and everything in between, when I got my first one, I showed it to my dad ( an ex marine) and he was like what the hell are you gonna use that for, I told him hunting, and he gave me that sideways look saying ok wiseass..................so I ran to the gunsafe grabbed the win model 100 in .308 that he gave me to hunt with ages ago( its a semi-auto also) handed him both guns, and had him tell me how they were different.............besides the black plastic stock..he was stuck.cause there isnt any other difference...............again......................you pull the trigger, they go bang......thats cool enough alone to have one :)

the .223 was designed to kill humans

I heard it was designed to severely INJURE humans , thereby keeping death counts low and consuming more resources to the opposition transporting and caring for their injured.

I have an AR15 in .223 , never used it on deer as of yet. Not sure I ever will. My FIL uses one, and the small exntry wound, and most often lack of exit wound can lead to a really tough job locating the deer after the shot. It certainly doesn't drop in its tracks like they do with my .270

• Like 1

I wasn't being sarcastic. I am being serious. I dont know much about them, but from what I understand they aren't cheap. So people aren't buying them to save $, right? So I'm asking if they out perform rifles, and if so, for what type of species, etc.?

I can say that my ar is a tack driver, virtually no recoil and incredibly easy to keep dead on target for follow up shots. My gun dealer told me to use the 64gr soft tips if I ever chose to hunt deer with it.

They are just a different type of rifle, and properly built will perform right along with the best hunting rifles built. Ill bet your Wetherby is a good shooter, but Ill also bet it isnt as much fun to shoot as my AR is, or as inexpensive. You can build a basic no frills carbine for @ $500 if you are frugal and score some good deals on parts. Mine cost under $800 and I have some nice pieces on it. I am setting it up for coyotes for this year, it should do well out to 200 yards or so, which is all I need it to do. My buddy has an AR with a 6mm RAT upper. That thing is a serious tack driver at 200 yards and is capable of much further if hed anty up and put some good glass on it instead of ok glass.

Now, I personally know 2 guys that shot deer with 223 ARs this year. Both deer were killed with 1 shot apiece, and neither of them went 100 yards after the shot.

Would I use one on a deer? Possibly, they do the job, but I prefer something with a bit more punch.