can i ask, why must there

Dan92

always be a fight. im not getting on anyone here specifically you know who you are so ill just keep names out. Trust me i like a good debate just as much as the next guy, but to go as far as calling people names, bashing what others believe and just simply acting like little high school girls is ridiculous( once again, you know who you are). As far as i know we all want the same thing, to enjoy the outdoors no matter what activity we are doing and as of recently to get guns out of the hands of criminals and out of the hands/ limit access mentally ill people have to these guns. we should all be joining together in one group to help achieve these goals, not arguing about a post that got moved to another section or why, or about if someone intentionally follows others to bash their post or what the mods do with post. may i ask, WHO CARES! these are digital letters and words we are speaking on here. there are bigger things going on out there right now that IMHO is a little more important then an electronic box with letters on it.

My guess is that if I wanted to start some intense flaming, I would probably go on a hunting sight and start peddling my best anti-gun lines. There are some elements of common sense that need to be exercised if you want "everybody to just get along". How about if I went on an animal rights forum and started talking about the joys of trapping. How would that go over .... lol.

But seriously, as long as we are an open forum that allows all opinions, there is always going to be some serious stepping on toes that will not always be gracefully tolerated. Such is the danger of expressing opinions.

opinions and debates are fine, but the name calling and the little nit-picking is just stupid. i guess its just this day and age. ya know considering the people we just had running for president did nothing but bash each other back and forth, whether it be about personal life or opinions, times must be that hard now adays that in order to feel you've been heard you must have to bash others beliefs, opinions, and strategies.

the problem in any group is that there will be divides. Not every member of the NRA agrees with all their agendas, not every member on a companies board agrees with how the company may proceed in business and obviously Americans are split 51/49 with how the country should be run but in all 3 cases there is a general goal each member of each group is in agreement for.

With hunting I've butted heads with a few over some of my beliefs eventhough we all want the same thing, we just disagree with either

A. how to achieve it

or

B. What is really in the best interest of the organization/sport

I also like to look at an internet forum as the least productive way of really advocating for something. I would venture to guess 80% of us if not more are here to shoot the sh!t, talk about hunting, learn, teach and sometimes just kill some time. If anyone takes anything on here to seriously than you need to get up off your computer and go for a walk. If you really are passionate about something you should join or create an organization, meet in person and lobby for what it is. Many of you may not agree with the NRA or NY Bowhunters etc, but that is exactly what they did. Got off their a55 and did something about it.

• Like 1

i do agree, there will ALWAYS be people that are divided in a situation. but why must we get personal about it. as for the 51/49 thing.. nothing will get done until we both compromise. one side cant get everything they want and the other cant get everything they want there has to be a median somewhere, and arguing and calling each other names WILL NOT get that done. until then it will be side A bashing side B and side B bashing side A. also what others dont relieze is while A and B are going at it, some evil people started side c, bypassed A and B and are making their own agendas that A and B with both get screwed on.

you are spot on when it comes to compromise. As much as this will get me flamed, you know what mine is with guns? Assault weapon ban, leave the pistols. I personally own 2 shotguns a 22 and a muzzleloader and looking for my first pistol. I hunt and I enjoy guns, but IF WE HAD TO COMPROMISE i see no reason why we must have 30rd mags and assault rifles on the streets. They're cool, they're fun to shoot and I still think it should be legal to own them, but I'd much rather they take them away then our pistols and hunting rifles. Can you hunt with an AR? sure. Is it really any better than a non tactical rifle? We've debated that already on here. haha.

Yeah, you've got to realize that some of the debates on here are quite incendiary with a whole lot of passion behind them. As in my example of going into an animal rights forum and talking about the joys of trapping. How long do you think that would remain civil? When you are dealing with emotional subjects that members feel very strong about, it really doesn't take too long before they degenerate into all kinds of combat. It's human nature. Yes there are people who can simply allow people to walk all over their beliefs and never say a peep. I don't know whether they are extremely tolerant or just timid. But when you are dealing with subjects of tradition such as firearms and hunting you are dealing with things that people have grown up with and that were taught to them by family members. You start messing with those things and tempers are going to flair pretty quickly.

This is interesting because several people more than once suggested a "dislike button". That one could just dislike and move on -thats a quote. That makes no sense. If you like a post you dont need to reinvent the wheel, but if you dislike a post that requires a little explaination or its mere pontification. I think the board admin here knows that too, evidence that there is no such button.

Hunters are notorious for "moving on" anytime they meet a new concept. It didnt happen over night but thats how we got the current state of public opinion and regulations. Hopefully the internet will finally change that, especially as the "leaders" age - then maybe we can "move on".

On a very similair note:

1. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts.

2. You use science to form your opinions; you do not use your opinions to form science.

Think about it...

you are spot on when it comes to compromise. As much as this will get me flamed, you know what mine is with guns? Assault weapon ban, leave the pistols. I personally own 2 shotguns a 22 and a muzzleloader and looking for my first pistol. I hunt and I enjoy guns, but IF WE HAD TO COMPROMISE i see no reason why we must have 30rd mags and assault rifles on the streets. They're cool, they're fun to shoot and I still think it should be legal to own them, but I'd much rather they take them away then our pistols and hunting rifles. Can you hunt with an AR? sure. Is it really any better than a non tactical rifle? We've debated that already on here. haha.

Lol .... I am going to exercise my "tolerance" that I spoke of in the previous reply and not sideline this thread into "off topic land" with a reply to the assault rifle comment ..... Besides, it has been responded to a jillion times already on various other threads.

doc i agree but that is the problem these days, some people have just never heard of being the bigger man. also belo to what you said.. i love my ar i will NEVER get ride of it no matter what. but im pretty sure 30 round clips are already illegal and people still have them, i have buddies who have multiple 30 round mags, they dont go around shooting places up and neither do i. its not the gun or the amount of bullets a gun can hold doing these killings. its the sick, deranged manics behind the gun doing it. i fully understand the side of the anti- gun people, whether they choose to understand my side or not, but as i have been saying for years (prohibition in any form does not and will not work)

opinions and debates are fine, but the name calling

It took a while for me, but it's about leaving emotion out of the debate and not using adjectives.

Adjectives express emotion.

Name calling is emotion.

I use to first type my posts in Notepad, step away form the keyboard, and then ask myself, did what I key contain emotion, disrespect, and has tact. When I went back, I made the corrections so I came across as professional and try the best I can at maintaining fact.

Another person who has a good point enhances your own intellect. I thrive on people who speak about things I don't know about. That makes me want to research more.

Edited by tony m
  • Like 1

I don't forgot who said it but there was a qoute that went something like this:

Someone asked a wise man "how do I become a better person"

The wise man responds "find the one philosopher you disagree with...then read his book."

The point is, it is good to debate with people who opposes your views with an open mind. One of the reason you get into a debate isn't always to prove you're right, but to grow as a person.

Just remember. When the KKK member asked his KKK friends if what he's doing is the right thing, none of them told him what he was doing was wrong.

• Like 1

Lol .... I am going to exercise my "tolerance" that I spoke of in the previous reply and not sideline this thread into "off topic land" with a reply to the assault rifle comment ..... Besides, it has been responded to a jillion times already on various other threads.

I'll bite.

Like i said. Big firearm advocate and owner. I'd even like an AR someday for target and of course the zombie apocalypse. I also understand compromise and all I was saying is that if it came down to some or none at all, which group of firearms would you eliminate? just humor me. hypothetical for arguments sakes.

doc i agree but that is the problem these days, some people have just never heard of being the bigger man.

Frankly I have problems with letting bogus statements, insults, and comments that I think are harmful to the activities that we hold dear here, stand unopposed. In fact I generally won't do it. I don't see cowering before other more aggressive people as being "the bigger man". I do try to keep my conversations as civil as possible and that is not to say that I have never been drawn into responding in the same manner that I am being talked to. But I am pretty successful at avoiding the name calling directed at other members or anyone that I am conversing with here. I can't say the same for declared enemies outside of this site like animal rights organizations, or anti firearms people and organizations. Those I generally use fairly descriptive terms.

I also understand compromise and all I was saying is that if it came down to some or none at all, which group of firearms would you eliminate? just humor me. hypothetical for arguments sakes.

I pick the none at all aspect. Stand our ground and give nothing. If they want them then there is a legal avenue to ammend the Constitution. This is where just by shear numbers of states the Blue states fall short. They have to attempt other avenues because they will never muster 3/4 of the states. (another reason to keep PR out of statehood)

I pick the none at all aspect. Stand our ground and give nothing. If they want them then there is a legal avenue to ammend the Constitution. This is where just by shear numbers of states the Blue states fall short. They have to attempt other avenues because they will never muster 3/4 of the states. (another reason to keep PR out of statehood)

oh believe me, you'd have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands. It's simply just a hypothetical question.

I find it funny that danc0320 started this thread as reminding everyone to keep an open mind and be civil when debating and yet somehow this thread evolved into a gun-ban debate.

Great point you have. I have been a member on this site for about a 1/2 a year but do not spend much time on here until this past weekend. I have been checking out a lot of the differnent forums and topics and it seems like one particular person jumps into any amazing amount of them and just keeps trying to push his views. Most of the people do seem civil and have an open mind so I still believe in the human sprit.

I'll bite.

Like i said. Big firearm advocate and owner. I'd even like an AR someday for target and of course the zombie apocalypse. I also understand compromise and all I was saying is that if it came down to some or none at all, which group of firearms would you eliminate? just humor me. hypothetical for arguments sakes.

As Elmo pointed out, gun control is not the topic of this thread. Sorry. It's a good question, and if you want to put your question on one of the existing gun control threads, I'll answer it there.

Right now this thread is trying to figure out what has happened to civility on this site.

• Like 1

Great point you have. I have been a member on this site for about a 1/2 a year but do not spend much time on here until this past weekend. I have been checking out a lot of the differnent forums and topics and it seems like one particular person jumps into any amazing amount of them and just keeps trying to push his views. Most of the people do seem civil and have an open mind so I still believe in the human sprit.

I would have to say yes an..Amazing Amount...I believe there are to many Mods and some push a bit much. I am on a few sites and this one has the most and the most vocal. I know everyone has a right to speak and thats great but it seems sometimes it goes above the person talking!

On a side note, This is one of the better sites that i am on and i will be a supporting Member soon.

Don't tell me there is somebody that is actually participating too much ..... how dare they .... lol. And they are also pushing their opinions too? Well that is just unacceptable forum behavior. Participation and opinions too ... hard to imagine. But it's nice of you to point that out on a thread about forum civility. It does serve to demonstrate the point of the topic very nicely.

• Like 1