Hunting Trip 2013

Arrowhead

Sorry for the long post in advance but what would a good question be without a good story.

So i have been hunting bow and gun for 3 years now and this year i got my first deer, a nice 6 pointer. I got to share the experience with my father and it was awesome! Two of my friends were asking me all about hunting and one got into bow this year. We started talking about going out together for gun season and basically that snowballed into "lets cold weather camp while we hunt". So that was back in August and we all went out and bought zero degree sleeping bags and pads and heavy thermals, etc. We were all prepared and so we went the last weekend of southern tier gun, Dec. 7-9. We stayed at Bear Spring Mtn campground. It was an awesome time except that it rained the entire time and if it wasnt for a 10x10 canopy tent we would have been screwed. We had a 3 season tent which worked but wouldnt have been great if temps really dropped. Anyway, we didnt see anything but had some great meals, deer stew being the best. While we were shoveling stew down our throats we got to talking about making this an annual trip.

We all agree that if we wanted that then a few things would have to change. First is that we would need a 4 season canvas tent. You know, one of those big ones we could put a stove in. So my first question is what do you guys recommend? I know Cabelas sell a version but i wanted to hear what you guys think or if you have other companies you use. Theres 3 of us but we may swell to 6.

The other thing we knew had to change was our location. Its not because Bear Springs isnt awesome but because if we are going to buy a bigger tent it will take awhile to set up and wont be worth setting up just for a weekend so we were thinking if we went somewhere upstate we could maybe quad the equipment in or get deep enough in the woods to leave the tent for the gun season and we can use it as we see fit. So my other question is has anyone or does anyone do this? If so, what do you guys do? is it safe to leave the tent and cots on state land? do you quad in? where is best? Any and all recommendations would be very helpful. We live in Rockland County so we dont want to go to far but lets hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance! Merry xmas

Joe

I don't think it is legal in NYS to QUAD in on public land (unless you are handicapped) however there are other areas that you can (drive in and camp) some in the southern regions of NYS or if you want a real wilderness experience (moose river plains, 50,000 acres) you can drive into a site in MRP, I did it a few years back didnt see any deer as is common in ADK region ( if you PM me i can reccomend other areas in the Southern Tier) where you can drive in as well (truck not quad). as for way backwoods my wife's uncle used to canoe into areas and when they had a wall tent the would (hide/store) it in a 50 gal steel drum and then hunt there same areas year after year, they even humped a cast iron wood stove into the woods and they hunted those same areas for 15 or so years, again this becomes as much of an adventure than it does a hunting trip. PM me and i can fill you in on areas that you can drive in (truck) camp, hopefully see deer, and not be 4 hrs away from medical attention if need be.

Arrowhead,

We used to do this in Roscoe by the state land on Morton Hill road. Some of our best memories were cold weather camping. We have a big army tent (I believe it was from Korea) that has a wood stove in it. It kept us nice and warm. Don't think you can use the quads on state land. I also would not set it up and leave. Try to take a week at a time. It is such a great way to hunt. You never know what the weather can bring, we have had 2 feet of snow on last weekend and also 70 degree days. Cool that your doing this-good luck.

Thank you all for the advice. I enjoy hunting and my father has hunted his entire life. I got started late due to sports, college, etc. It was an awesome experience to get my first and one i will never forget. I thought as long as the quad was registered then it could be brought on state land. I could be wrong and will def check.

I am going to look into the place you mentioned first-light. We werent far from there at all. It may be best to go back.

If anyone else has any more advice please post. As most know the seasons over but the planning starts right away for next season. I was looking on cabelas and added the tent, cots, stove and kitchenette to my cart and divided it by 6. Should be around $300 a man. I think thats totally worth it!

bearspring is quite an awsome place my grandmothers family is from colchester/downsville and have been there quite afew times..... the dmps like candy in the late 80's early 90's really took a toll on the deer...... my great uncle spent his life on a dairy farm in the trout brook valley and i remember him saying when he was a boy a deer track was quite a sight due to the acid factory logging...... if you do return to bearspring the upper rd out of the park towards walton can be productive

I can't really give you any answers,

However let me just say congrats on the 6 point, and being able to share that with your father

sometimes we all get caught up in the monster buck aspect of hunting and forget just how awesome it is to get your first one

so congrats and welcome to the brotherhood

AMEN!!!! i totally agree, i enjoyed shooting my first buck (5 pt) more than ANY tv show hunter who shoots 200 in. bucks ever could.....