Work Bench - Anyone do a custom top for one in other then wood?

burmjohn

Hate to keep singing the praises of it but Craig's list. I have built 2 and used kitchen counter tops. drill easily and cuts to size with a fine toothed circular saw. oil and grease spill clean up well and best part they were in the free section. just went and picked them up.....and the have backspashes too. I have seen 2 listed in Rochester this week.

That's what I'm using for a computer desk. I have 12 feet of continuous deck space. The back-splash feature is a great thing for keeping things from rolling off the back to be lost forever.

However, I am not all that sure as to how it would hold up to heavy, hard (metallic), things being banged around on top of it. Doesn't that stuff chip, dent, and flake rather easily. I'm not too sure how good of a utility surface it would actually make. I guess it all depends on what kinds of things that would be worked on. I think I recall that the bench would be used for working on car parts???? I don't think that surface would hold up to that kind of abuse. It sure would make a heck of a re-loading bench though .... lol.

Doc

I have a vise mouted on mine and do a lot of work. I bought a couple 2'x2' rubber floor tiles from Mr. Seconds and if I do any banging I just throw them down on it first. They were like $2 a peice. No chips yet after 6 years.

I am not sure what they are called but I use those little threaded inserts  on the bench......drill through and stick them in from underneath. They have little ears to keep them from turning but I epoxied them as an added measue. the pattern of them all let me but my drill press...bench grinder and vise on the bench...bolt it don from the top and not have to go under or ave them on there when I don't need them. Works great since I only have the 10' bench to do everything.

I am moving into our new house this weekend and I will be setting up a work area in the basement for working on my guns and bows, etc and am probably going to use some old countertops for that. Out in the garage, however, Im going to use stainless or regular steel tops for my work benches. On the steel tops, I might coat them with bedliner so I dont have to worry about rust. Hmmmm, that would be way cheaper than stainless.