need some help with riflescope selectiom

Another fan of Leupold. I dont think I will buy anything but from now on. (unless I win the lottery, then I will try one of those Swarovski's.)

I believe Zeiss makes an affordable scope, Conquest maybe? No personal experience with it though. Just never heard of anything bad about them.

turkersdaddy, I have found the new weavers to have very good optics and great light gathering characteristics. I have taken deer with with both the 1-3X and 2-10X classics in dark low light cloudy conditions and have been very happy with them in terms of brightness. The 1-3X 20MM is an awesome shotgun scope. I said 2-8X but the scope is actually 2-10X 38mm. I think the glass is great for the money.

thanks for the insight. just hopped over to midway the weavers seem to be at that same price point, so it wont help me with the misses! :fie:

Tasco, center point, nc star, and some very bottom end bushnells. my worst expirance was with a tasco. i was in some very tall thick pines on a heavy overcast afternoon. a decent 6 point popped out at 75 yrds could see him without the scope, couldnt pick him up in the scope, too dark. with the nikkons ive shot 2 yotes at night (clear half moon snow on the ground) no light on. the light gathering capabilitys of an upper level scope is well night and day. the nikkons and leupold are at the lowest price point of quality ive found so far. if you know of any less then $100 that can gather that type of light PLEASE speak up. its getting tuff to explain to the misses that my $400 gun turned into a $700 plus adventure!

Lifetime warranty and with the V-plex it is only $140. This is th newer model of the ones I bought and I love the site picture, clear and bright..

http://www.cameralan...ossfireii3-9x40

if you want lower magnification

http://www.cameralan...ossfireii2-7x32

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I own a Leupold and a Nikon, both great. The Prostaff seems to be one the best in its price range but I do love the Leupold enough to justify the extra $. I favor having Leupold's Lifetime warranty on it also and have heard nothing but good things about their customer service. As mentioned by others, Vortex also has a good warranty. Nikon-Notso much

Nikon and Leupolds are both great. I like the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42 the best as far as optics go. I also love the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 - 4X for woods hunting although they have now gotten expensive. They are a very fast scope! I also like the economical low cost Weavers Classics 1-3X and 2-8X, have had great luck with them. They give you alot for the money. I always like scopes with good sized exit pupil for fast target aquistion. I also like variables that have a low end magnification of 1 - 2X since the large field of view and larger exit pupil will serve you well when that big buck gets up at close range. I am a throwback and like lower powered scopes for big game hunting. I was heavily influenced by gun writers like Jack O'Conner and Ed Matunas. The current trend is for higher power on the low end but I believe for big game hunting you are better off with a variable with 1-2 power on the low end and 6-8 on the high end.

I am also a throwback... Due probably to the influence of O'Connor, Matunas, Hagel, Finn Aagaard and some modern gun gurus like John Barnsness I have preached the dependability and utility of low to moderate power quality fixed power scopes... Of the 3 scopes that I have used the most on my hunting rifles, two are Leupold fixed 4X and one is a Leupold fixed 6X... I paid around $125 each for the four powers at gun shows, and paid $160 for the six power from a guy online...All three scopes were in used but excellent condition.

They are simple, ,dependable, foolproof, clear, have AMPLE eye relief, gather light very well in low light conditions.. I have used them under some very tough wilderness conditions , including some wilderness hunts when my rifle got soaked EVERY day... I have taken game animals with them at ranges from point blank to 400 yards, and have never missed an opportunity that I blamed on lack of magnification.

All that said, so far , to my knowledge, I have convinced NOBODY that a high quality fixed power scope is a better choice on many hunting rifles than a cheap variable..<<sigh>>....<<grin>>....

I am also a throwback... Due probably to the influence of O'Connor, Matunas, Hagel, Finn Aagaard and some modern gun gurus like John Barnsness I have preached the dependability and utility of low to moderate power quality fixed power scopes... Of the 3 scopes that I have used the most on my hunting rifles, two are Leupold fixed 4X and one is a Leupold fixed 6X... I paid around $125 each for the four powers at gun shows, and paid $160 for the six power from a guy online...All three scopes were in used but excellent condition.

They are simple, ,dependable, foolproof, clear, have AMPLE eye relief, gather light very well in low light conditions.. I have used them under some very tough wilderness conditions , including some wilderness hunts when my rifle got soaked EVERY day... I have taken game animals with them at ranges from point blank to 400 yards, and have never missed an opportunity that I blamed on lack of magnification.

All that said, so far , to my knowledge, I have convinced NOBODY that a high quality fixed power scope is a better choice on many hunting rifles than a cheap variable..<<sigh>>....<<grin>>....

I agree with you have said but I have to say when woods hunting, which is mostly I mostly do, when my cheek hits the stock I'm right on with my variables on the low end settings of 1, 1.25, or 1.5 depending on the scope. Four power is a little high for me when hunting in cover. A weaver classic 1-3X 22mm sells for $157 at midway. I have used them on slug guns and rifles and have never had anything go wrong with them.

Edited by adkbuck

I agree that four power is a compromise in close cover...The scopes I used on my slug guns are both Steel tubed El Paso Weavers ( late 60s vintage) a K 1.5 and a K 2.5. Both are great scopes and have always served me well.

I own two variables, a Leupold VX 2 1.5-4, and a Burris 2-7, which sets atop my current favorite whitetail rifle and is set on 2 power when I'm in the thick stuff.

I agree that four power is a compromise in close cover...The scopes I used on my slug guns are both Steel tubed El Paso Weavers ( late 60s vintage) a K 1.5 and a K 2.5. Both are great scopes and have always served me well.

I own two variables, a Leupold VX 2 1.5-4, and a Burris 2-7, which sets atop my current favorite whitetail rifle and is set on 2 power when I'm in the thick stuff.

But in all fairness, Pygmy. You have underwear older than a large percentage of the forum members...lol

• Like 3

But in all fairness, Pygmy. You have underwear older than a large percentage of the forum members...lol

Culver (LOL)... You're right about that !

The Fruit of the Loom briefs that I'm wearing right now were autographed by JIM PALMER....

• Like 1

That all you wearing right now.....the gals might like to know...... :girlcrazy:

And a bunch of folks will need to google Jim Palmer I'm sure.

10-4 on the Google..That's why we have the technology..

As for my current dress, it's pretty boring now that the weather has moderated..

Now if you had asked me a few DAYS ago when it was zero degrees outside, you might have caught me wearing my mink lined THONG and my double knitted frog skin pedal pushers...

Yeah, I know...They have to Google "pedal pushers" too....hehehe...