need some help with riflescope selectiom

Im a big Nikon fan. I have a few. I have a Pro Staff 3x9-40 on my 7mm-08. It has the graduated reticle out to 500 yards, not that I would ever shoot that far. I think it was under $200 a few years ago.

It's a super clear high quality scope. I have had all my Nikons out in snow & rain with zero issues.

• Like 1

Im a big Nikon fan. I have a few. I have a Pro Staff 3x9-40 on my 7mm-08. It has the graduated reticle out to 500 yards, not that I would ever shoot that far. I think it was under $200 a few years ago.

It's a super clear high quality scope. I have had all my Nikons out in snow & rain with zero issues.

thanks I was actually looking at a pro staff. They are still areound the $200 mark.

I am a Leupold flag waver but know lots of good optics are available these days. Durability and eye relief are what matters most, IMO. If the eye relief isn't perfect I have no interest. Almost all scopes these days have great glass and coatings.

Skip the fancy reticles, opt for a standard duplex type intersection and pound away. Pretty tough to beat Talley mounts for the money. Make sure you have enough clearance after the glass is mounted to get some Butler Creek lens covers on but not TOO much.

• Like 1

2 things ive learned 1st, never buy a scope in a bubble pack,(boxed only) second, dont be suprised if you have as much money in glass as you do the gun. i have several nikkons and a couple of leupolds and an assortment of cheapys. if you are depending on the gun cant go wrong with nikkon or leupold. if its a cost issue stick with the iron sights until it not an issue.

• Like 1

2 things ive learned 1st, never buy a scope in a bubble pack,(boxed only) second, dont be suprised if you have as much money in glass as you do the gun. i have several nikkons and a couple of leupolds and an assortment of cheapys. if you are depending on the gun cant go wrong with nikkon or leupold. if its a cost issue stick with the iron sights until it not an issue.

Wondering what other scopes you have used to only draw the line at the Nikons and Leupolds?

I have Simmons, Bushnell, Nikon, and Redfield. My bro shoots nothing but Leopolds. Honestly, Leopolds, Nikons, Redfields, etc are obviously so much clearer and brighter than than my Simmons and Bushnells. Are they $100-$300 clearer and brighter? I guess that is up to the individual and their wallet. If $300 is nothing to you than why won't you get a Leopold? If I had that kind of money to spare, I'd get a Leopold as well. But I've never missed on any oppurtunities because my Simmons or Bushnell failed me. They've always hit true for me.

I like the leopold myself, has tremendous light gathering for the size of the objective. Have other guns and scopes but always seem to grab one with a leopold on it... there are other very good manufactures out there but plan on paying at least the same amount for the optic you choose as you did for the rifle if not more....

Wondering what other scopes you have used to only draw the line at the Nikons and Leupolds?

Tasco, center point, nc star, and some very bottom end bushnells. my worst expirance was with a tasco. i was in some very tall thick pines on a heavy overcast afternoon. a decent 6 point popped out at 75 yrds could see him without the scope, couldnt pick him up in the scope, too dark. with the nikkons ive shot 2 yotes at night (clear half moon snow on the ground) no light on. the light gathering capabilitys of an upper level scope is well night and day. the nikkons and leupold are at the lowest price point of quality ive found so far. if you know of any less then $100 that can gather that type of light PLEASE speak up. its getting tuff to explain to the misses that my $400 gun turned into a $700 plus adventure!

Nikon and Leupolds are both great. I like the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42 the best as far as optics go. I also love the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 - 4X for woods hunting although they have now gotten expensive. They are a very fast scope! I also like the economical low cost Weavers Classics 1-3X and 2-8X, have had great luck with them. They give you alot for the money. I always like scopes with good sized exit pupil for fast target aquistion. I also like variables that have a low end magnification of 1 - 2X since the large field of view and larger exit pupil will serve you well when that big buck gets up at close range. I am a throwback and like lower powered scopes for big game hunting. I was heavily influenced by gun writers like Jack O'Conner and Ed Matunas. The current trend is for higher power on the low end but I believe for big game hunting you are better off with a variable with 1-2 power on the low end and 6-8 on the high end.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 1

Nikon and Leupolds are both great. I like the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42 the best. I also love the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 - 4X for woods hunting although they have now gotten expensive. They are a very fast scope! I also like the economical cost Weavers Classics 1-3X and 2-8X, have had great luck with them. They give you alot for the money. I always like scopes with good sized exit pupil for fast target aquistion. I also like variables that have a low end magnification of 1 - 2X since the large field of view and larger exit pupil will serve you well when that big buck gets up at close range. I am a throwback and like lower powered scopes for big game hunting. I was heavily influenced by gun writers like Jack O'Conner and Ed Matunas. The current trend is for higher power on the low end but I believe for big game hunting you are better off with a variable with 1-2 power on the low end and 6-8 on the high end.

how do the new weavers work in low/no light? i have an old k10 (steel tube) on my savage 340 in 222 wood chuck gun and hope all my scopes hold up as long as it has. but it is a sunny day open field type of set up.

turkersdaddy, I have found the new weavers to have very good optics and great light gathering characteristics. I have taken deer with with both the 1-3X and 2-10X classics in dark low light cloudy conditions and have been very happy with them in terms of brightness. The 1-3X 20MM is an awesome shotgun scope. I said 2-8X but the scope is actually 2-10X 38mm. I think the glass is great for the money.