Hi Joe...Is it going to be for shooting or cleaning? If you are shooting off it you need to watch where your sling stud comes in contact with the front "hanger hook". On recoil it could mess with your impact on target??

Also, if shooting off it make sure you round off all sharp edges or you'll get a gash or two!

Nice project! We'll need pics of the completed deal............

• Like 1

Interesting idea.My thoughts on the yellow U hook.What would be nice with that,is if the small block of wood it is screwed into,was adjustable forward and back for the reason Lawdwaz stated.The long board under it would have to be slotted or holes drilled every 2" for example,so you could adjust it for different length rifles.Let us know what you end up with,good winter project.

Yes mainly for Shooting although I may use it for cleaning (didn't think of that)... I am planning some changes from the original pic I got the idea from... for example: the front adjustable legs I will prob weld a handel on so its easy to adjust. Also I've been thinking about maby making the block that the U hook screws into longer w multiple 5/16th holes in it so I can adjust it for longer or shorter guns, also maby a piece of tire tube w two holes stretched over the top of the U to help hold the gun a bit... wadda ya think? Good idea? Any other suggestions? I wanna go work on it but w temps in the teens its hard to convince myself too! I need inspiration!

Tire tube would be fine,as long as you don't use it to shoot,as anything putting pressure on the bbl will affect your accuracy.I sure your aware of that though.

i was thinking more along the lines of just hooked over the top too hold it down during the "jump" from recoil...

3 words, Caldwell Lead Sled

2 words, Too Expensive!!!

• Like 1

If you are building this because you enjoy building, I understand. If you are building this to "save $" in comparison to buying a led sled, I don’t agree. The Caldwell Led Sled's range from $50-$300 in price. Let's just say $150 gets you what you want. You need to buy supplies to build something similar. But more importantly, how much is your time worth? Again if you enjoy building than I get it. Otherwise, you need to factor in how many hours of your time you will be spending. If the $150 gives you what you want, think of it another way. Would you pay $3 to use a led sled when your shooting? Are you going to use this led sled 50+times in your life? Right there, its paid for.

If you are building this because you enjoy building, I understand. If you are building this to "save $" in comparison to buying a led sled, I don’t agree. The Caldwell Led Sled's range from $50-$300 in price. Let's just say $150 gets you what you want. You need to buy supplies to build something similar. But more importantly, how much is your time worth? Again if you enjoy building than I get it. Otherwise, you need to factor in how many hours of your time you will be spending. If the $150 gives you what you want, think of it another way. Would you pay $3 to use a led sled when your shooting? Are you going to use this led sled 50+times in your life? Right there, its paid for.

But you can't compare $ to the satisfaction of building something with your own hands.

Also a reason why we go fishing and hinting sometimes, how much is that meat worth?

it was around 5 bucks for the hooks (i got a spare) the rest of the stuff we have in our shop...and it only should take a few hours to build... in my opinion not only will i get satisfaction out of building and using it myself but i also am saving money... win win.... (i would buy the lead sled if i had the money tho)

He's 15 years old and has the skill to do it. He will take the difference in money and shoot, reload and then shoot some more.

I bet bet that the boy shoots more this year than most folks on this site!

Blam, blam, blam.......................!!

Since you enjoy building, I agree with everything you guys are saying. Also, I didn't know you were 15.

I think it's great you are into hunting. I don't have 1 "non-forum, real-life" friend who hunts.

But I don't see why you can't make real friends from fake friends?

Since you enjoy building, I agree with everything you guys are saying. Also, I didn't know you were 15.

I think it's great you are into hunting. I don't have 1 "non-forum, real-life" friend who hunts.

yeah we all are "real" people.... LOL join the party! were all friends on here!!!

yeah a bench or truck bed/tailgate i can shoot as far as i want and much farther... if i wanted i could set up targets 500 or 1000 yards... dogs mind it more than the cows LOL dad dont mind at all... mom aint a fan of guns but she is ok with it also as long as im careful...

(i usually park one of the trucks (we have a steel flat bed i shoot off of, also my personal truck i can use the tailgate on...) at one of the red dots and shoot out tward the yellow ones but if i wanted i could shoot the whole way to the blue dot... also once in a while i will drive out to the green dot and set up and shoot at targets near the yellow dots there...) LONG RANGES!!! LOL

post-2634-0-57633400-1359484798_thumb.jp

Edited by josephmrtn