See if you can scrounge up some steel plates to hang and shoot at. I have a couple steel railroad tie plates that I bang away at. Painted either orange or florescent yellow. Fun wow!!

i think we have some scrap steel plating.... shouldnt have to worry bout ricochet at 100+ yrds

well yesterday i tried it out....

specs:

18 degrees, 8-10 mph wind in my face, 50 yrds, 4 rounds, 150gr FMJ Fiocchi, 308 Winchester

here is the results... not super good but it is actually one of my better 4 shot groups...

(that rip up at the top is where i hung it from)

post-2634-0-88069800-1359824724_thumb.jp

When you redo that wooden thing, First you want to make something that lets you be in a comfortable shooting position.That thing might be good for shooting down hill laying on the ground..If you go to a shooting range most targets are at least the height of the shooting bench.Most front rests are higher then the rear and the rear of the stock is sitting on or in some type of padded or sand bag.Most are just used for sighting in a rifle or bench res type shooting.

Plus remember it is illegal in NYS to shoot from or on a motor vehicle.Car,Truck,ATV or what ever.If you want something for hunting buy a set of shooting sticks and practice wit them.That target at 50 yards ?. Are you flinching or jurking the trigger and not pulling it in one steady motion

When you redo that wooden thing, First you want to make something that lets you be in a comfortable shooting position.That thing might be good for shooting down hill laying on the ground..If you go to a shooting range most targets are at least the height of the shooting bench.Most front rests are higher then the rear and the rear of the stock is sitting on or in some type of padded or sand bag.Most are just used for sighting in a rifle or bench res type shooting.

Plus remember it is illegal in NYS to shoot from or on a motor vehicle.Car,Truck,ATV or what ever.If you want something for hunting buy a set of shooting sticks and practice wit them.That target at 50 yards ?. Are you flinching or jurking the trigger and not pulling it in one steady motion

Thats how i shoot LOL, i dont go to shooting ranges.... sorry man but on this farm we use whatever happens to be parked at the edge of our shooting area for a rest and that includes pull behind equipment, old tires, wood piles, trees, rocks ect as well as tractors, truck beds/tailgates ect..... yup thats at 50 yrds, no i dont think, i think its just not quite sighted in razor sharp yet.... i might have a tiny jerk tho... i do have a bipod, this aint for hunting its for helping me sight my gun in...

Plus remember it is illegal in NYS to shoot from or on a motor vehicle.Car,Truck,ATV or what ever.

I dont think its illegal to target shoot off of a vehicle, its illegal to shoot game from one. Its a hunting regulation, not a gun law. The only gun laws pertaining to a vehicle have to do with posession of a loaded long gun within the vehicle. I do not think that includes shooting targets off the tail gate, but I could be wrong.

For a young shooter I think your doing very well. Don't adjust your scope until your groups tighten up, more practice at 50 yards will help with this. Don't get carried away and start shooting longer distances or you may become discouraged. You may want to just use your bipod and fill a hunting sock with rice or corn to rest the buttstock on, especially if you are already shooting off of a solid surface. Good luck.

I dont think its illegal to target shoot off of a vehicle, its illegal to shoot game from one. Its a hunting regulation, not a gun law. The only gun laws pertaining to a vehicle have to do with posession of a loaded long gun within the vehicle. I do not think that includes shooting targets off the tail gate, but I could be wrong.

I do believe that the law states that it is illegal to have a loaded long gun IN or ON a motor vehicle.

This includes leaning over the hood or in the bed of a truck. Don't matter if the vehicle is on the road or in the middle of the back 40.

I do know people who were hunting ( in the Adirondacks) and came back to camp for lunch.

A couple of guys leaned thier rifles against a vehicle...Officer Ferndip came along and issued them tickets for having a loaded long gun ON a motor vehicle.

I'm not passing judgement, just saying what the law is, as I understand it.

Have I done it ? Heck no, I've never done ANYTHING illegal , except for the time I pulled the " Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law" tag from a mattress, and I feel terribly guilty for doing that.

It may have scarred me for life. << Pygmy hangs his head in shame>>....

I think it's time for my NAP...

If you put that group on a deer, trust me they aren't going far. I've seen alot worse shooting than that.

Lol your right! every deer I've ever killed dropped in its tracks, never even moved... and yes I've seen worse too...

Edited by josephmrtn

Thats a fare group you want your shots a little high at 50yrd's and from looking at your shots you should be good to 125yrds.

yeah i figure that if im an inch or so high i should be about perfect at 100 yrds

For a young shooter I think your doing very well. Don't adjust your scope until your groups tighten up, more practice at 50 yards will help with this. Don't get carried away and start shooting longer distances or you may become discouraged. You may want to just use your bipod and fill a hunting sock with rice or corn to rest the buttstock on, especially if you are already shooting off of a solid surface. Good luck.

yeah one of my friends in PA (he is 17) shoots a 25-06 and he regularly kills deer at 200 and even out to 300 yrds... but his groups at 100 could be covered easily with a quarter.... of course he has been hunting since he was about 8 and has had that gun all that time, and he has a sweet harris bipod (mines a blackhawk ((harris are to expensive for me LOL)) but i like harris better) and a great scope (i think its a nikon)

I do believe that the law states that it is illegal to have a loaded long gun IN or ON a motor vehicle.

This includes leaning over the hood or in the bed of a truck. Don't matter if the vehicle is on the road or in the middle of the back 40.

I do know people who were hunting ( in the Adirondacks) and came back to camp for lunch.

A couple of guys leaned their rifles against a vehicle...Officer Ferndip came along and issued them tickets for having a loaded long gun ON a motor vehicle.

I'm not passing judgement, just saying what the law is, as I understand it.

Have I done it ? Heck no, I've never done ANYTHING illegal , except for the time I pulled the " Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law" tag from a mattress, and I feel terribly guilty for doing that.

It may have scarred me for life. << Pygmy hangs his head in shame>>....

I think it's time for my NAP...

thats stupid anyhow!!! they could fall over and go off... LOL yeah im sure........

im 200% sure no cops will EVER come and sit out in my hayfield for weeks waiting to catch me out there resting my gun on a tailgate while im target shooting.... LOL they have MUCH more important guys to arrest/fine than a farm boy out target practicing in his spare time....

Edited by josephmrtn

yeah i figure that if im an inch or so high i should be about perfect at 100 yrds

yeah one of my friends in PA (he is 17) shoots a 25-06 and he regularly kills deer at 200 and even out to 300 yrds... but his groups at 100 could be covered easily with a quarter.... of course he has been hunting since he was about 8 and has had that gun all that time, and he has a sweet harris bipod (mines a blackhawk ((harris are to expensive for me LOL)) but i like harris better) and a great scope (i think its a nikon)

thats stupid anyhow!!! they could fall over and go off... LOL yeah im sure........

im 200% sure no cops will EVER come and sit out in my hayfield for weeks waiting to catch me out there resting my gun on a tailgate while im target shooting.... LOL they have MUCH more important guys to arrest/fine than a farm boy out target practicing in his spare time....

Not sure if it's good to have a "eff the police, I'm not going to get caught" attitude. You have too bright of a future ahead of you. You have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

I Checked this out last week and couldn't find anything pertaining to target shooting either. Shooting at game I know is not legal but targets are ok AFAIK. Where's Bubba when we need him?