Ammo/bullets

Dom

How can i tell if the ammo/bullets that I have are no longer useable?I have several boxes of Remington slugs and shot shells from the mid 1980's do you think these are still good to shoot?also came across some earlyer shells with paper jackets could these still be usable

Geeze, you guys make me feel old...hehehe.. I have SOCKS older than those shells..Hehehehe..

It really depends on how the ammo was stored, but unless they were exposed to REALLY extreme conditions of heat, cold, dampness. etc. any plastic shot shells should be fine..There is no safety issue.... Go ahead and shoot them... The worst you might get is a misfire..They are not going to blow up in your face.

Paper shells are somewhat less weatherproof, but if they have been stored in fairly dry temperate conditions they hold up pretty well too.. I love paper shotshells ( they remind me of my youth) and have shot quite a few over the years, some dating back into the 1920s... I have had a few duds, but most them went BANG just like modern shells, and lo and behold, they still KILL stuff just like modern shells..

Shoot 'em and enjoy 'em...

I can remember when Remington introduced the first plastic shotshells in the early 1960s..In fact, I have an accumulation ( rather than a collection) of vintage ammo, and I have a few of Remington's first plastic shells...One piece plastic wads had not been developed yet...They are in a fairly transparent green plastic casing and you can see the shot, the fiber wad and the powder.. It was pretty cool stuff back in those days..

• Like 1

Geeze, you guys make me feel old...hehehe.. I have SOCKS older than those shells..Hehehehe..

It really depends on how the ammo was stored, but unless they were exposed to REALLY extreme conditions of heat, cold, dampness. etc. any plastic shot shells should be fine..There is no safety issue.... Go ahead and shoot them... The worst you might get is a misfire..They are not going to blow up in your face.

Paper shells are somewhat less weatherproof, but if they have been stored in fairly dry temperate conditions they hold up pretty well too.. I love paper shotshells ( they remind me of my youth) and have shot quite a few over the years, some dating back into the 1920s... I have had a few duds, but most them went BANG just like modern shells, and lo and behold, they still KILL stuff just like modern shells..

Shoot 'em and enjoy 'em...

I can remember when Remington introduced the first plastic shotshells in the early 1960s..In fact, I have an accumulation ( rather than a collection) of vintage ammo, and I have a few of Remington's first plastic shells...One piece plastic wads had not been developed yet...They are in a fairly transparent green plastic casing and you can see the shot, the fiber wad and the powder.. It was pretty cool stuff back in those days..

Yup I have got alot of shells from then also my Dad was a hoarder of sorts,every time I start sorting it brings back the days he and I spent together,needless to say I get to blubbering and stop sorting.Its realy cool some of the stuff he had like the cleanning kits when they were wood and brass.All the shells have/still in there boxes never wet or extreme heat.
  • Like 3

Very cool, my friend...Go shoot those shells, enjoy them, and think about your Dad..

Save a few just for memories, though...Old ammo on a shelf makes a nice display...

The boxes are nice, too...

Edited by Pygmy

Not long ago, I spent a day hunting snowshoe hares in the Adirondacks, shooting a single barrel 12 ga. Steens 94 that I had bought way back in 1958...shooting old paper hull shells of the same vintage. Both performed without a hitch...meat on the table!