Just leased land in 7P ....

Tony7781

Its a real good area. Me and my buddies hunted down there, in our younger days, and took a lot of bucks (and does) out of there. As far as motels..I cant help you because we always made a day trip out of it or camped out in my friends old pop up. But as far as a good deer area ...you chose wisely my son...LOL!! Lots of deer.

Thanks alot guys guys, you made me feel alot better about my decision! I can't wait for this year's season. There's def turkey up there too right? I want to break in my new BPS!

Ill def try out your business restaurant, thanx for the info guys

sent from my carrier pigeons....

Still plenty of turkeys in the area, but haven't had a dry nesting season in a few years so the numbers are a little lower than in the past. Still get plenty of action every Spring though.

As for deer hunting, it is mostly an area of quantity and not quality. But, more and more hunters are letting the younger bucks walk, so you have a reasonable chance at a rack buck. If you leased land in the right area with neighboring properties that are managing for older deer, you can get a crack at a nice one. More and more 3 and older bucks being shot every year. Good luck with your lease.

Still plenty of turkeys in the area, but haven't had a dry nesting season in a few years so the numbers are a little lower than in the past. Still get plenty of action every Spring though.

As for deer hunting, it is mostly an area of quantity and not quality. But, more and more hunters are letting the younger bucks walk, so you have a reasonable chance at a rack buck. If you leased land in the right area with neighboring properties that are managing for older deer, you can get a crack at a nice one. More and more 3 and older bucks being shot every year. Good luck with your lease.

Thanks Coon, we are also planning on making a bunch of food plots. We are viewing this as a long term lease so we want to do our part and help grow the deer into nice shooters. Any idea of a particular plot in that area that is known to flourish?

Brassica, sugar beets, clover , small pumkins, and corn have been used by people I know. The beets seem to come on soon after the first few frosts come and the deer pound them hard. Standing corn works well for cover as well as food, but takes up space so not many are using it except the farmers. When the apples are on, the deer and other wildlife hit them hard in the fall. So, if there are old apple trees on your lease it is worth it to take the time to prune them and fertilize them to give them some new life. Make sure you get seeds that are for our temperate zone. Pretty easy now that there are lots of seed companies.

That's some great info, thanks again. I was planning on the sugar beets and clover. I was told there are a bunch of Apple trees on the land, but ill have to find them when I go up to scout when the weather breaks. Then i can start to care for them.

the last couple of years we arent managing the bucks, they seem to be managing us! there is quality is this neighborhood, you just cant be tempted by the youngsters. we hunt just southwest of norwich and its tough to let 4s and small 6s go hoping for better... get out in the field as early as possible (bow through muzzle) and you will be rewarded! my brother in-law spent every day in his stand over his food plot (yes every day, the advantage of working 2nd shift with no kids) and passed on alot of deer. it was thursday of muzzle loader when he shot his 8pt. patients will be rewarded.

coon if the turkey numbers are dropping in your part of chenango get out and shoot some yotes...the past couple of years we have hunting the yotes pretty heavy and our turkey flocks, pheasant, and grouse populations are the highest ive ever seen. maybe luck but it makes for some fun outings!

if you need seed, Page seed in greene has seed tolerant for this area.