Good place for early Bear season?

bowaholic

My buddy and I go up to Old Forge every year to his camp for the early Bear season opening weekend. This has been an annual trip for the last four years or so. The only one we have ever seen was running across the road before OF at about 2AM. We put on a lot of miles and never see much sign let alone a bear. Anyone know a good place to try for the early season or have some good tips??

p.s. I bring my bow and he brings a rifle.

No substitute for pre season scouting: crops, orchards, etc. Of course, the Old forge area doesnt have much of that, and most of the bears in the area are there for the easy garbage, tourist pickings at campgrounds. Once tourist season ends, they disperse a bit. most bears in the ADKS are incidental to deer hunting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hunting the ADK bear sightings are few and far in between.  (We are not actively hunting them...) I think between me and my buddy we have seen 4 while hunting over 20 years all small and we watch them run when they see us.  One in Long lake, Lake placid trail by Blue Mt., Bear trap swamp in Indian lake and Newcomb.  If you can get into bear trap swamp that's a good spot to scout but access is limited and it borders a private hunting club.   I see signs of them in Moose river but they are extremely elusive and rarer than deer.  Good luck, they are hard to find in any large numbers but I think that is standard in any "forever wild" type area.  Too bad conservation can't see the benefit of varying landscapes.  And they wonder why they have to "Control" the population around rural areas...  Otherwise just find the local dumps and you will see plenty of them...  Just need to find a legal place to hunt in the area, some times the dumps might need some population control too.  North Creek I believe has bear signs due to dumps close by.  (somewhere on 28 in that area...) Good luck what ever you do!  Hope to see some pictures this year of your success!

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I hunt the moose river Plains area, and the Big Moose lake area. Have seen a lot of sign over the years but only seen a couple of bears. I see more bears in down town Old Forge. Last year there was 3-cubs in a pine tree next to the Pancake house, mama bear was close by.

• Like 1

What about Allegheny state park?

In this area I hear a lot about sightings in Ossian NY..so Rattle snake Hill might be an option...

Ill have to look this area up, I've never heard of it.  I can make it to OF from my house in about 45 minutes and my buddy has a big camp on McCully Mt. (we really rough it don't we?!) :maninlove:

I hunt the moose river Plains area, and the Big Moose lake area. Have seen a lot of sign over the years but only seen a couple of bears. I see more bears in down town Old Forge. Last year there was 3-cubs in a pine tree next to the Pancake house, mama bear was close by.

I might have to take a look into this area.  The farther in the more sign or not necessarily?    

Like Moosemaple said, I have only seen them right in town, never while hunting for deer or beer...opps I mean bear! haha. We use to have a camp back in on Stillwater when I was younger so I know how to get back in there still. Might need to go back in there closer to season and like deer hunting, put on some miles and scout them out.

• 4 weeks later...

We hunt Moose River plains and see Bear sign and no real bears. I have to admit that oftentimes we hang near the trails by camp and don't get way out too much. Social event...

We roasted a turkey one night, trash can turkey style, and left carcass out all night. Nothing, I mean nothing touched it. Pretty discouraging.

The area is well populated with grouse. Maybe a few of those will do.

I use to go to 3rd lake and also never saw a lot of bear sign and or bear. Till one weekend we got back to the truck and had a young guy asked for help getting a bear his buddy got out to his truck. Well 3 hours later, I said no more for me bear hunting. The bear seemed to get hung up on every twig in the forrest, as 4 guys tried to drag the bear out. 

I did ask the DEC for any reports of bear damage in the area and they had several in the 3rd lake area so that were we tried. I also suggest you do not leave your car or truck to go into the woods unless you have a compus with you. If you get lost it could be a long walk out.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding Alleghany State Park, there is no hunting in the park and most of the land around the park is private. 

Look again.

-South Valley State forest Cattaraugus #2, #3 totals 4,227 acres of public hunting ground. Just west of Allgany state Park on the other side of Allegheny reservoir...

-Pine Hill State Forest

-Bucktooth State Forest

-Nine Mile Creek State Forest

-Rock City Sytate Forest (HUGE)

-McCarty Hill State Forest

Moose River is my primary stomping grounds...  I just can't get enough!  Very vast and extremely unforgiving if you get lost!!!  Some area's are so thick they are impassable...  Compass does not always work!!!  Rare but I have seen it...

Sweet Old Bill says " If you get lost it can be a long walk out."  No offense but that is the understatement of the year. 

Many people do not make it out of the woods in the ADK forest, often you will see a sign posted of a lost individual at the sign in gate.  To say you should be woods wise would be an understatement!!! 

Be careful!  Seven miles to the closest town, 30+ miles if you really go the wrong way!!!  These are some of the most remote spots in NY!

NFA!!!  No Fooling Around  This name was a result of David Boomhower being discovered, one of my first years in Moose River Plains. 

NFA-GETSOME  Come on September 27th!!!