smoked fish

Dom

I would like to start/learn how.I remember my Dad And uncle smoking Shad and Herrin but not sure how they did or what kind of wood they used in smoker.I do remeber the fish being a salty/smoky flavor it was very good.Anyone got some ideas?

You can do fillets or whole fish.

I like to marinate with a brine of water, sea salt teryaki (sp.), and brown sugar,

Experiment with the proportions and add garlic, onion, pepper or whatever sounds good.

After 4 to 24 hours, remove and let air dry for an hour or 2 before smoking.

Cold smoking requires lower temps then most can do and heavier use of salt/preservative.

Hot smoking is 140 deg plus.

Doneness is your call - anywhere from a flaky consistency to near jerky like - both are good.

Apple is good..Hickory is good...In Alaska and Canada, alder is favored, but I have never tried it..However the coho salmon I had smoked after my last couple of Alaska fishing trips was excellent.

Unlike Culver, I like to leave the skin on...I think it results in a more moist product, and I prefer it flakey/ moist rather than dry...

It is very important after the brining process to rinse the fish well and then set it out in the open air to dry for a couple of hours before smoking..That results in a glaze on the surface that helps keep the moisture in and makes for a much more attractive  product.

Just be careful you don't burn your house down....

Edited by Pygmy