gunsmith that can/will thread a barrel for chokes?

• 2 weeks later...

Geeze, Teebug.. I'm guessing that it would be cheaper to buy a used barrel..

I assume you want a tighter choke for your turkey gun..If you shop around and maybe advertise in the classifieds, you should be able to either find a fixed full choke barrel or one that is threaded for tubes for less $$$ than getting one threaded by a 'smith.

I've been in gunshops that had dozens of used extra barrels..Seems like a used barrel for a 12 gauge 870 would be a fairly common item.

Edited by Pygmy

I agree that if the gun has a removeable barrel, a replacement bbl may be the most practical way to go. You  may even be able to find one with the variable choke on it already.

For a competent gunsmith though, I  doubt the installation would be that expensive, and they should be able to quote an accurate price. Not my first choice, but Gander Mtn. does theservice around here.

If it is a future turkey gun and it has a mod, imp cly etc. I'd shoot it with some of the "flight control" (or whatever they call them) shells and see how it patterns first.  Some of the new stuff shoots exceptionally tight in those barrels and you might not even want a full or extra full choke.

BUT..........we still don't know what the OP even has or wants!

If it is a turkey gun deal, Mark Bansner in PA might do it also.  He used to do quite a bit with turkey chokes years ago.

Its an 870. 18" barrel with cylinder choke. Ive got some shells pygmy had and just waiting to test them out. Ive decided that a new barrel is probably my best bet. Might happen this turkey season or over the summer. Now that my fiances friends want geese a new barrel is pretty much a must. The flite control is my next option for now. Ive seen some videos and reviews of an cylinder bore with flitrcontrol and its almost got me sold. I can keep my range under 25 yards so im ok there.

I like short barreled turkey guns. My 11-87 has a 21" Remchoke barrel, and it is very handy in the turkey woods, albeit a little short and whippy for waterfowl. I have a 28" choke tube barrel that I generally use when hunting ducks or geese with that gun.

HOWEVER, all that aside, there have been a few times that I have taken the 21 " barrel waterfowling,( too lazy to switch barrels, I guess) and I have done some fancy ( or lucky) shooting with it, if you will indulge an old fart's stories....

My one and only TRIPLE on ducks...3 mallards, two drakes and a suzie, came past from my right, sweeping over a beaver pond. I folded a drake with the first shot, at which time the other drake reversed directions and I dumped him with the second shot going back the opposite direction, then swung BACK to my left again and killed the hen just as she cleared the dam..All 3 ducks were stone dead on the water, and it took MUCH less time than it took me to type this.

Antoher time I was hunting geese, and a flock came over. I was shooting the 21" barrel with an IC tube and T shot. I dropped a goose with my first shot, hurried the second shot and missed, then killed another goose with the third shot. There were still birds overhead, so I threw a shell in the open breech, slammed it shut and killed a third goose and then threw another shell in the breech and killed a fourth...Five quick shots..Four dead geese.

Despite these admittedly lucky perfomances, I still prefer the feel and smooth swing of a 26 or 28 inch barrel for waterfowling or other similar types of wingshooting.