DLC Covert Black 60

Yeah...a good old fashioned Sandisk should be fine.

I honestly have never tried it because I have never needed a 16gb, but I could probably rattle off 10+ people who have who use them a ton in the Coverts. Enough to the point I would spend money buying a 16gb because I trust them. I have used 2gb SD cards with no issues in them...I think this cam isn't one that is particularly demanding on card type. Some cams like certain brands, speeds, size. This one is accomodating.

Edited by phade

• 1 month later...

Well, I ended up grabbing one of the 2013 models, which are HD video with sound and 12 mp. Both should be going into the woods this weekend. Both will be using the same brand batteries and the same brand and size memory cards, so it should be a pretty fair comparison.

I dont mean to steer buckhunter or anyone else away from doing their own reviews. However I just found this site that tested multiple cameras and they show the results of each their are alot of the popular brands that were tested on here. click the link then click Trail camera Shootout then scroll down and see the rankings of each and on the right side you can view the results of the testing. thiought this was interesting. the covert came up ranked #1

http://www.trailcampro.com/coverttrailcameras.aspx

We have that site and a couple of others in a thread pinned to the top of this section. I like reading lots of reviews, and reporting on my experience with gear. I read the reviews on the DLCs on the major sites but didnt make the jump until I read what one of the members here had to say about them. His personal experience was the kick over the edge for me.

I dont mean to steer buckhunter or anyone else away from doing their own reviews. However I just found this site that tested multiple cameras and they show the results of each their are alot of the popular brands that were tested on here. click the link then click Trail camera Shootout then scroll down and see the rankings of each and on the right side you can view the results of the testing. thiought this was interesting. the covert came up ranked #1

http://www.trailcampro.com/coverttrailcameras.aspx

You do realize that trailcampro is the biggest farce in the field, right? They sell cams they rate? Yes. Objective? No. Not at all. Consistent rating system? No, not even that.

Ex. They have a star rating system. They rated an MMS cam, and one star was rated against only MMS cams....the next star rated against all cams. Poor rating, and the fact they sell cams makes it an unreliable source for reviews. Coming up with a ranking/or top cam list, is pointless. Cams are not always built for the same goal - some cams are feeder cams, some are trail, some are video/sound oriented, some are for color night shots. Cams are never an apple to apple comparison, so ranking cams across the board is never really possible or accurate. Every cam should have a sweet spot in its performance.

Chasingame is the best place to get info...and the owner is having personal issues right now impeding the reviews of 2013 cams.

Edited by phade

• 1 month later...

So I FINALLY got my first pull from my 2013 Black 60. I had it in one of my best trail cam spots, meaning I get the most action from it. I set it on its highest resolution video mode with 25 second clips. Before I start posting videos, I just want to say I am extremely happy with the cam. I had it out for a week, with 49 videos, which sucked up just over 1 Gb of space on my 16 Gb card. Long term sets on video mode will be no problem with the highest resolution (IIRC, its 1080p). The sound is awesome, so neat to hear the animals and surroundings. The animals dont seem to notice the cam after my scent washed away with the rain. I love the cam, and will most likely get another one. Ill post vids as soon as they finish uploading.

Well, the people that own the farm are horse riders. Their riding trails are priority #1. The farmers and the rest of us work around the trails. No brush hogging or anything else gets done unless the trails are mowed. Stands are hung with green, brown or black straps ONLY because they dont want to see them on the trees. Fields all have wide trails around them. There are quite a few rules, but it works out well for everyone.

• 6 months later...

So, Ive had almost a years worth of experience with both a 2012 and 2013 Black 60. Heres what I have found.

The 2012 is the 8mp version. The pictures were great on this cam, videos were ok. Battery life, well, I ran it from July to January and the batteries are still at half charge. No complaints there. I have two complaints though. First, the black flash lens will spook the deer during the day, as they seem to see their reflection in it. Simple fix, put it somewhere they are less likely to notice it. Second, the day I pulled the cam, the plastic where the top latch attaches to the camera body, cracked and broke. I have a support request in to DLC to see what they will do. The cam was never dropped or abused, I think it happened due to cold temps, but these things are supposed to be built to use outside. We will see what they say.

The 2013 is simply awesome. The pictures are amazing, and the HD video is sweet. I also love the sound on the video. Battery life is similar to the 2012, I still havent worn them out yet. I had to send this cam back, as I started getting a few white outs and purple pictures. They said it had an issue with the filter. They replaced it with a brand new camera. Cant complain about that.

Overall, Im pretty happy with these cams. My biggest disappointment is the broken latch.

No apparent latch change between 2012 and 2013 - however, I can't recall a 2013 latch breaking. The cams seal tight to begin with, but the 2012s had a few cams where the lock hole didn't line up correctly or if there was enough wiggle room to line-up correctly, and the user wasn't paying attention, it could break the latch.

I broke one of mine and my FIL broke his within the same weekend. I've owned at least 15 2012s thus far, and those were the only two I had that issue with. Knowing to be careful shutting the cam has helped.

2013s...same design, but no latch issue I guess. I think they made a minor change to it that isn't readily apparent, because they close much more smooth.

Late year 2013...Code Blacks got a new latch system. All 2014 models will have it. This will likely fix a couple issues people reported back to them.

Cams aren't perfect, but fixing what is found to need improvement is a good sign for a company.

Haven't heard of too many stuck filters with Coverts...heard of maybe enough to count on one hand. Glad they took care of it. Mechanically, these cams work well for the moolah. The 2014 lineup seems interesting. Some specific use cams coming out.

2013 deals on leftovers will be starting soon.

DLC issued me a RMA today. They are taking the 2012 back. Awesome customer service!

phade, my 2012 was a very tight fitting door. The hole thing you described may have been the issue.

Looks like the 2014 Black 60s are the exact same cam as the 2013s. They introduced a wide angle cam and a white flash cam this year.