DLC Covert Black 60

I picked up one of these cams on a heck of a deal, and thought I would do a little review on it. Ill start with what I like about it on a first impression.

First, its size is great, I am used to my old full size cams, and lugging those around was a real pain at times. This cam is nice and compact, and lightweight even loaded up with batteries and my Python cable lock.

Second, the controls are pretty simple, but there are a ton of great features.

Third, the black flash is great, I tested it out in a dark room, and it is near impossible to see if you arent very close to it and particularly looking for it.

Now for the few things I dont like...

First, it only accepts up to an 8gb memory card. Most of the cams in this price rang I have looked at go up to 32gb.

Second, the door lock hole is not large enough to run the Python through, so if you want it locked, you have to have a small padlock. Without the door being locked, someone could remove the memory card, delete your pics, etc. I might just order the steel security box for it.

Third, some of the settings dont seem to stay set when you switch it off. Im going to email DLC about that and see what they say.

The cam will be going out into the field in the next couple of days for its test run, and Ill post more once it sits for a week or so.

Wow --- 12 AA batteries !

Yeah, but I had 10,000 - 12,000 pics from mine this summer before I changed them and I stil had one bar showing!!!  Try that with a Moultrie!!!

Great cam, you'll love it.  I'll only buy Covert cams from now on...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

There is none as far as I know.

I've seen in the past that they have the same guts inside on different web sites.  I didn't know if you knew for sure.  I have one of each and both are very nice.

Both of mine take 8 batteries, 12 is really something!

I can answer all of the questions...

1. It lists 8GB. Clear out a good 16GB card, format it, and throw it in the cam. It will work. As will a zero second delay. But - do you really need 15-20k photos to be held on a single card? I can imagine if you are using the plot watcher feature - but even at that 7500+ images on 8GB would likely fit the bill. Only other thing is if you could use bait or licks here. But, setting it on a trail or even a plot here in NY...I'd be impressed if anyone filled an 8 GB card in a couple months or even a half-year.

2. Most cams are built like that now - Either they snake the python around front to cinch, or you have the padlock design. It's sort of the way the industry is heading. Don't buy anything but a Custom1 box. It is more money, but worth it. The open door design is to play on the premise that most people tresspassing will take just the card rather than the whole cam. (IE someone not supposed to be there).

3. Settings - when you make a change, you need to select OK/save button before moving away from the function...think of it as clicking on the save button for a file or picture on your computer. So, for three pics, you move the button over and down to the pics....move it over to three photos and click ok/save. I think the reason "some" may appear to save is because the final selection before you close out may save automatically - but that is just an opinion on my part.

Keep in mind, it is black flash. Don't expect the world's best night images. They should be good and useable, however. You are trading a slight image degradation for the invisibility feature. Some people want nice photos of bucks. Others want the bucks on the wall.

Edited by phade

32 GB is way too many for me . I don't like to use anything over 2 GB but sometimes put a 4GB card in a camera . I have had over 3000 pics on a camera card due to the wind blowing a branch , etc . I erase the cards after uploading the pics and start all over again .

Maybe I will try the Black Flash sometime but I have more than enough cameras for the time being .

WNY BH.....do you know what the relationship is between DLC and Bushnell, if any?  Aren't they the same cams?

There is no relationship.

What you are thinking is, about the manufacturer of the cams, in China.

There are a handful of Chinese manfucaturers that make cams for companies here in the U.S. Most of the U.S. hunting companies buy from multiple Chinese manufacturers year to year or even within the same year. This is where you are probably thinking along those lines. Some of the early Coverts were made by the company that made early BTC models. I believe Covert has transitioned to Uovision as the manufacturer a couple years ago - different from BTC - which I believe may still use Boly Media or one of its spinoffs. Uovision is also resourced sometimes by Uway and Scoutguard. The Uovision cams are where the rubber meets the road in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bigger names, like Bushnell, jump into Uovision next year. They didn't this year and it may hurt them because Covert's sales are skyrocketing right now. A few years back, Bushnell's cams wer junk - outright junk. When the Scoutguard 550 hit the scene, it changed the game...smaller, better, faster, cheaper. Bushnell knew it would lose market share fast because it hadn't invested in the new technology, as seen by their repeated use of the same design with no real significant technology development - basically, they got shown up.

Next thing you know, BTC steps into the doors of Boly Media and says, guess what? We want that cam. The BTC, Covert, and SG550 were all essentially the same cam for a few years. But, the problem was, was that Bushnell pushed its weight around and started squeezing the smaller companies. They left or reduced their orders at Boly Media Company. Several engineers at Boly Media Company spun off their own comapnies with better designs, and guess what...Covert followed and Bushnell is stuck with a manufacturer that isn't really developing technology now. I suspect 2014 will see another Bushnell move, seeing as how they now own Primos. I am not sure who Primos uses in China. I suspect next year's cams will come from the same plant as the BTC, wherever that may be.

Edited by phade

Yeah, but I had 10,000 - 12,000 pics from mine this summer before I changed them and I stil had one bar showing!!!  Try that with a Moultrie!!!

Great cam, you'll love it.  I'll only buy Covert cams from now on...

What cam? Seems low for the '12 Covert line-up.

Although, many of your summer pics are at night in open fields, right? If so, that may be plausible given no light metering and ir firing all the time.

I have both a Black 60 and the MP6 model.  Correct, most of my summertime pics are open field sets.  I am perfectly happy with getting 10-15K pics on a set of batteries...

Dang, forgot you use Coverts. Someone had a smoking deal going on last week. Should have sent it your way.

phade, you da man! Thanks for the answers.

Ill just be using the 8gb cards, as I tend to check mine once every two weeks anyhow. I get 2 cards and just swap them. It was more of a comment on how this one uses smaller cards than others in its class. The only time I may be worried is if Im using video mode.

phade, you da man! Thanks for the answers.

Ill just be using the 8gb cards, as I tend to check mine once every two weeks anyhow. I get 2 cards and just swap them. It was more of a comment on how this one uses smaller cards than others in its class. The only time I may be worried is if Im using video mode.

I think the 8GB was a marketing flub...small company. Everyone who tries a 16gb card in it, has it work with no issues. I just think Marketing screwed up.