decoy setup question

TeeBugg

I don't place them so that they are directly in line with where I "think" the turkeys will be coming from. Being off to the side kind of diverts their attention, instead of having them looking directly at the decoys when they come in, with me being 10-15 yards beyond them.

for the hen either away or towards..... then the tom facing opposite of that

!          ----

!

HEN      Tom

Edited by growalot

You got it about right. Also, depends on the deke.

Breeder hens usually approached from back or side. Jakes, from the front....

A strutter facing to you is good because birds will try to get in the face of the bird, meaning they swing around the deke.

I've pretty much gone away from my strutter starting last year. Good deke, but it does spook away some birds. Jakes I find are much more usable...nearly everything will approach them.

I bought the Dakota Extreme Jake this season....DSD rip off but the price was right at Cabelas.

When and if I use them I place them no further than 20-25 yards out...One hen off be herself to my left, the other hen sideways in front of me and the jake behind her like he's feeling frisky and wants some kibbles and bits...Boss Toms don't like Frisky jakes and surely don't want them getting kibbles in bits in their hood, so they will normally head right for the jake...and they do want to come at him face to face making for some nice shooting situations. Placing your deeks too far out can lead to shooting too far by under estimating the true distance of the bird if he hangs up just the other side of the deeks...At 20-25 yards I know that once they break what I figure to be the 40 yard mark it's "Do or Die Time"...If at anytime once he's past that mark and he "Do" act funny, it's "Time" for him to "Die"... :spiteful: