Question about turkey beards

Water Rat

My best bird to date was a double beard. He was actually the very first turkey i ever shot. about 8 years ago.Real thick beard and one was 10 ", the other 9 3/4. Still got him mounted on the wall!

Edited by TeeBugg
  • Like 1

My best bird to date was a double beard. He was actually the very first turkey i ever shot. about 8 years ago.Real thick beard and one was 10 1/2", the other 9 3/4. Still got him mounted on the wall!

Man that's awesome. First bird you ever shoot has a double beard...and impressive beards to boot !!!

Thanks! It was my first year turkey hunting. Grabbed the old 20 gauge single shot, some sceery inflatable dekes and a push/pull call. Had no real idea what i was doing or how to setup or anything. Actually sat in my best deer treestand when he came in lol!

Thanks! It was my first year turkey hunting. Grabbed the old 20 gauge single shot, some sceery inflatable dekes and a push/pull call. Had no real idea what i was doing or how to setup or anything. Actually sat in my best deer treestand when he came in lol!

Now you know why I asked if anyone was lucky ! In a treestand yet and no clue of what you were doing ? If you don't mind me asking.....what kind of mount did you have done ? Strutting , roosted , standing... etc ?

not a full mount, just a fan and beard. he was a heavy bird pushing 25# but only had a 1" spur and the other was completely wore down. yes from a treestand haha. i had no idea that wasnt the common practice. funny thing is he walked in front of my old man at 50 yards but wouldnt even look towards his dekes. its like he heard some sweet soft calling from a newbie and just had to investigate. in all honesty he gobbled three times then i heard nothing. about 10 minutes later i kept hearing something like a snake going thru the grass and this strange ticking noise. obviously later on i found out it was his spitting and drumming. shot em at 20 yards when he decided to join my flock of 4 decoys. ill grab a pic tonite of the beard if i remember!

I've killed a couple of double bearded jakes and one triple-bearded jake.  A guy that was in turkey camp with me in Indiana killed a beautiful triple this spring too.

Here's a nice multiple bearded bird that an uncle of mine killed last spring on a farm that I hunt...

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

I've killed a couple of double bearded jakes and one triple-bearded jake.  A guy that was in turkey camp with me in Indiana killed a beautiful triple this spring too.

Here's a nice multiple bearded bird that an uncle of mine killed last spring on a farm that I hunt...

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

That's a real slammer, WNY....Fine bird..

I've killed two birds with twin 9" plus beards and one with twin 8" beards...

I've also killed several with  8 or 9 inch main beards and small , wispy 3-4" second beards..

I killed a heavy ( 23 lb. ) gobbler in Kentucky a few years back that had 4 beards...The main beard had a huge base but was cut of at the skin line..He had 3 distinct smaller beards growing above it..

The gobbler I killed yesterday was a double beard, but had also lost his main beard at the skin line..The second beard was a wispy 4 incher.. I knew he was an adult bird when I shot him due to his full fan..He had 1 inch spurs, making him a possible 3 year old or a precocious 2 year old..

The most beards I have seen personally is 5..A friend of mine shot a 5 bearded jake years ago..

Another friend borrowed the beard to display at the county fair...He left it on his coffee table and his springer spaniel ate it.. He had to explain that to the guy  who USED to have a priceless trophy... Sorry, Eddie...My dog ate your once in a life time beard.....