Deer ate my apple tree

tree looks great Ford!

in the 20s? shoot that sucks... think its going to mess up all the blossoms? 

I think so, neighbor said it was a hard frost. We will see. I hope not, since last year was a bust. The year before that was ridiculous though, I was literally tripping over all the apples. They were floating down the run off ditch next to my driveway. Does not really help my hunting though, as there are apple trees on all the surrounding properties. But certainly feeds the wildlife.

And that's why I like planting late season annuals as well. Something to eat when the apples are gone.  

from what i've heard the frost last night shouldn't hurt the apples. only fragile planted vegetables and stuff like apricots that might already be out.

I hope what you heard is right! Seems to get a little colder at my place for some reason, maybe because it is a little higher than the surrounding land.

Tree tubes are to protect the trunks. i didn't have a problem with the trunks. Trees were on a deer trail and branches were easy pickins for them. I will fence them in this winter. They should be ok through the summer and fall as the deer have other food to eat right now.

Yeah Ill worry about that when the time comes. I hope to get rid of the cages all together in the next few years, they are a pain to mow around.

Thats my issue also if i cage these trees how am i going to be able to mow around them. Can i put the cages up in the fall and remove them the next spring?