Big Timber Rattlesnake

No, we didn't kill him or provoke him to rattle - if he did rattle on his own we would have video taped it.  We snapped a few pictures and it didn't move at all , which is what they do a lot of times. We found him in the southern tier, I don't want to get specific because of their conservation status. (we don't hunt bears, so its not about that). They are not terribly uncommon, but this was the biggest one I ever came across in the wild.

As far as aging them, water weasel is correct. It is a rule of thumb to multiply the number of rattles by 1.4 to get an estimate of age. The rattles break off and the rate of shedding varies so its just a rough estimate. You can tell sex by counting the marks on its tail (not the rattle, the black section before it). The males have more marks, but I don't know what the formula is, I don't have any reason to pick them up anyway, we counted the rattles by looking at the photos, by the way... Im sure this one was a male though , it was every bit of six feet long, the maximum length they are thought to grow, with males being larger.

• 7 years later...

My daughter and I drove up to beaver kill yesterday and ended up at Peapackton reservoir. New York is one beautiful state. As we walked down to the water. We passed many row boats overturned upside down along the rock path. I could only imagine the amount of snakes under those boats. I had my ears peeled for the rattle sound! As beautiful as it was, I was glad to leave

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Buddin1969 said:

My daughter and I drove up to beaver kill yesterday and ended up at Peapackton reservoir. New York is one beautiful state. As we walked down to the water. We passed many row boats overturned upside down along the rock path. I could only imagine the amount of snakes under those boats. I had my ears peeled for the rattle sound! As beautiful as it was, I was glad to leave

LOL.......upside down boats are a mecca for a kinds of poisonous venomous killer snakes.  Anybody that keeps a boat on a NYS reservoir better have tungsten balls.  It's just a plain old recipe for disastrous outcome.  

NO THANKS!!   

• Like 2

LOL.......upside down boats are a mecca for a kinds of poisonous venomous killer snakes.  Anybody that keeps a boat on a NYS reservoir better have tungsten balls.  It's just a plain old recipe for disastrous outcome.  
NO THANKS!!   

I got huge nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Buddin1969 said:

Oh I dont know, I've fished Pepacton as recent as this past weekend and have never seen a rattler there. Its my favorite day trip place to wet a line in the DEP system.

Yet here in Dutchess I know 2 places where I see them fairly often in spring sunning themselves. Pretty good sized ones too.

Massive black snakes around Ashokan that are impressive.