State Land

Bleitten04

Well right now I'm in Brockport for college and I do have my uncles to hunt that is only a half hour away.  I live in Weedsport NY.  You probably never heard of it but its about a half hour west of Syracuse right off of the thruway exit 40.  I also have a place to hunt there but won't be around much during deer season.  I'm just lookin for another place to go within about an hour of either place.  I've been to quite a few places like happy valley, three rivers, summerville, cicero swamp, howlland island, and i might have been to bear swamp.  I'm just wondering if there is any more.

I know where all those places are. i gre up in Mohawh valley and have been up a down the Thruway my whole life. You may really wan tot consider the Canadice, Helmock lake area. Was county property but now owned by the State. You can hunt it but like many other areas ...pressure near the easy access pushes deer deep there and if you don't mind the steep terrain......I have seen lots of great quality bucks taken down there.

There are lots! Give a call to the local DEC regional office and tell them where you are, and what you are loooking for. They sent me a large envelope full of information on different areas, a few years ago. Hector Land use area and the Finger Lakes National forest are great high country hunting grounds about an hr. from you.

• 4 weeks later...

I hunted Connecticut Hill a lot of years back. It's located in Tompkins county. I'm not sure if it's close enough to you. Its a little rough getting in there but I believe its 11,000 acres of Wildlife Management Area if I'm not mistaken. It has a good mix of terrain there. I've driven thru some of the access roads a few times but I only hunted there once back in the late 80's so I don't have a lot more info for you. I remember the day I hunted there that 2 hunters I ran into had each taken a big 8 pointer.

Connecticut Hill is a great area and there are alot of turkeys to hunt out there as well. Newfield, NY in Tompkins county has some state land as well. Alot of grouse terrain but deer frequent the area as well. Thats about as far north as I know of.