rifles in livingston county

growalot

Well lets get back to the topic...in a way..You know me and my little questions...I pose this...

What good is the 500ft rule? REALLY ...When a person according to the wording of the law can now stand several hundred yrds from a deer...say...  across and open field...that could be standing 200 ft from your home ...tucked in the woods and shoot legally..When that law went in.... NYS was a shot gun only state...500ft was a reasonable safety net...I'm NOT SURE but also no scopes at the time...maybe wrong...someone should know...

the law states you must be 500' away to discharge a weapon, but the target can be 100' away from the dwelling/building?..........makes perfect sense.

That 500' rule needs a bit of tweaking to add a clause that says that it is illegal to shoot in the direction of a visible structure of any kind. As pointed out by jjb4900, the distance is no where near as important as the area behind the target. Let's face it, for most weapons (including rifles), 500' is not that much of a safeguard if shots are taken directly at buildings. Making a shooter responsible for what is visible in the background is a whole lot more meaningful. Also, I think all buildings should be included in that law. Trying to guess which class of buildings may have someone inside is not what I would call very responsible shooting.

If I remember correctly a few years ago when the use of rifles was first talked about they could be used south of 5&20 is that still true.

If you are still talking about Livingston County or Ontario County, to date neither of those two laws have gone through yet. And as far as Ontario County is concerned, that requirement about south of 5&20 seems to have been dropped from the current bill that is on the verge of finalization. I am not familiar with the Livingston County bill as to whether there are any qualifications involved in that one. So as of this date, shotguns are still the required deer hunting firearm. That may change any day now, but has not happened yet.