This Time Of Year

It's a lot more complicated than this, but without writing a book-  Their main intent is to find a new home. The workers, guide the queen, through the communication of "pheromones" traveling to their new home. Scout bees have already lined up a new living quarters, but the queen is not use to flying, so she has to stop and rest at times.  Thus I intersept them and place them in a new hive. Most honeybees come from hives these days, so they are happy to return to one.

Lucky for them, they picked the right address to land at.

I bet most folks would be reaching for the wasp and hornet spray soon as they see that. I'd probably have the same reaction if the swarm landed on my pad. Not a big bee fan here, but I understand their purpose.

Will they leave a location like that on their own if left undisturbed, or are they looking to take up summer residence on your shop?

• Like 1

Wooly,  Yeah, I'm like a magnet to metal, LOL. I once was at a gathering where a swarm flew into the people yard. It was funny. Everyone was running away, and I ran towards them, and dropped them on a limb. Everyone thought I was nuts.  To answer your question:I have seen bees leave in a matter of minutes, or build comb there,  for months. Why, I don't know.

Culver: Most left over bees that come back once the swarm is gone, were the ones foraging in the field, or out scouting for a new home. They most likely will be lost. Your right on the scent however. I have remove bees off the same locations year after year. I had some friends that would call me faithfully every years having to remove bees from the same fence post. If they set up residence in a house or similar location. Once their remove, it is nearly inpossile to keep a new swarm out.

Update on these little rascals: They swarmed out of the hive yesterday. I was doing some yard work and noticed the uproar. I had to drop them with a push lawn mower and install them back in the hive. Upon inspection, I found a moth ball in one corner. Time will tell if they stay.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

It's a lot more complicated than this, but without writing a book-  Their main intent is to find a new home. The workers, guide the queen, through the communication of "pheromones" traveling to their new home. Scout bees have already lined up a new living quarters, but the queen is not use to flying, so she has to stop and rest at times.  Thus I intersept them and place them in a new hive. Most honeybees come from hives these days, so they are happy to return to one.

Thanks!