A Couple Questions.....

Lawdwaz

1) where do I get a list of boat/trailer regulations in writing?

2) where do I find regulations on fishing border areas, specifically upper Niagara River with regard to legal boundaries to Canadian water?

3) if you (not me) catch a smaller than legal fish that has swallowed the hook bad, what is the best thing to do, just snip your line and leave the hook in place and return the fish to the water?

Thanks in advance...........

2) where do I find regulations on fishing border areas, specifically upper Niagara River with regard to legal boundaries to Canadian water?

3) if you (not me) catch a smaller than legal fish that has swallowed the hook bad, what is the best thing to do, just snip your line and leave the hook in place and return the fish to the water?

-1 & 2 I have no idea

-3 that's what they say gives the chance the best chance of survival........... if it's an expensive lure, take a few good wraps of line around your hand and give it a good yank..........either way return it to the water.

If your lure is deep hooked, probably means you need to set the hook sooner.

If using bait, I'd get the cheaper hooks that will rust out easier or go with a larger quality hook to deter the smaller guys from swallowing the offering.

OK, we've covered #1 & #3.  Gold star for the member that gets #2.

Tell you what, instead of a gold star, I'll pay your membership here for the next year...............

For the second question ( I just couldn't say #2 without laughing) I believe if you are on the US side, it's NY license, upper river / great lakes regs, Canadian side need Canadian license and must follow their regs.   No fishing privileges across the line without the other side's license and so special considerations for being in a border area.  Your GPS ( if you have one) should show the border, or a state fishing map will. Most bait shops should have them if they sell licenses.  I've heard stories of big fines and potential confiscation if caught fishing without a license on the Canadian side, but have never had the pleasure myself.  I don't have any reference links for this however, but we've fished this way for some time, and have had a few checks over the years by the sheriff boat for licenses and safety equipment without any problems.

Also, Ontario street launch ramp is free, put in there Sunday to fish by Strawberry Island

If your lure is deep hooked, probably means you need to set the hook sooner.

If using bait, I'd get the cheaper hooks that will rust out easier or go with a larger quality hook to deter the smaller guys from swallowing the offering.

Thats what I do... Ive never liked little hooks... if the fish is that small I dont want it... lol

For the second question ( I just couldn't say #2 without laughing) I believe if you are on the US side, it's NY license, upper river / great lakes regs, Canadian side need Canadian license and must follow their regs.   No fishing privileges across the line without the other side's license and so special considerations for being in a border area.  Your GPS ( if you have one) should show the border, or a state fishing map will. Most bait shops should have them if they sell licenses.  I've heard stories of big fines and potential confiscation if caught fishing without a license on the Canadian side, but have never had the pleasure myself.  I don't have any reference links for this however, but we've fished this way for some time, and have had a few checks over the years by the sheriff boat for licenses and safety equipment without any problems.

Also, Ontario street launch ramp is free, put in there Sunday to fish by Strawberry Island

I think your pretty much spot on with your assessment of the rules but I'd like to see it in writing from an official publication.  

How'd you do around Strawberry Island?  I figure that will be my next shot as I've heard guys were picking up some bass there.

I knew Ontario was free.  Is the one at the foot of Sheridan free, I'm guessing it is not?

I had a 17' I/O for almost 20 years and launched at Ontario, Erie Basin and a number of other launches in the Finger Lakes and also a private joint in Waterport.  

This past weekend was the first time I ever launched at the Small Boat Harbor.  Fished Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.  The launch ramps there are pretty efficient, to say the least!   6 ramps for launching and 6 for retrieval.  They have you park your vehicle/trailer quite aways from the ramps and they have a shuttle service for you!  I was impressed......

Strawberry??

We gave Strawberry about 2 hrs, was slow, lots of weeds.  Did get one 20" and a 16".  Drifted the rough spots from just upstream of the tip of the island to past the cove to the buoy with soft shell crabs. Tried some artificial baits, but not much happening with us or the other 3 or 4 boats we could see.  The Egrets on the island were catching more than us.    Moved over to the channel, drifting the red buoy line for a couple more hours and caught quite a few, but most were too small,  the 8-12 inch kind. We were out in my buddies boat, 18 1/2 foot tracker , he has a nice set up. but looked like the lake would be a little rough for a boat that size last Sunday

I like launching at the SBH as well, and they have the cleaning station, which keeps the flies out of my garage!  The city docks in the Falls are free too, we put in there to fish sunken island, if the moss isn't too bad

btw, did catch a MASSIVE.....sheephead out there.  Wish they were good for something besides fertilizer 

Folks still fish from shore at the foot of Ontario St?

Yes, seems like every time I go by there on the 190 folks are wetting a line. 

My wife and I took a ride over by Squaw Island a few weeks ago by car and I just wonder how they can catch fish in that current!  I've run the river in a bunch of different boats and gone under the Peace Bridge.  If you've never done THAT, your really missing out on something.  The pucker factor is amazing.................................................................

Things are much more tame around Ontario St, IMO.

"Yes, seems like every time I go by there on the 190 folks are wetting a line."

Never been on a boat upper river or Lake Erie when i lived up your way. A few times I fished on a boat out of Olcott on Ontario .Fished some in Devils Hole or the power project platform.

Both my parents and grandparents grew up right across from Riverside park; and as a kid my grandfather would walk down there and wet a line with me. This was early 70's and the water was pretty polluted, but we'd get some carp sometimes.

Do you have a smartphone? If so just go on to the maps ap they have to boarder marked. Also if your by the peace bridge look for the flags on top they are the boarder. I use to fish the mouth of the river with my grandpa never really had any issues drifting the boarder area not to say you won't

• 6 months later...

Do you have a smartphone? If so just go on to the maps ap they have to boarder marked. Also if your by the peace bridge look for the flags on top they are the boarder. I use to fish the mouth of the river with my grandpa never really had any issues drifting the boarder area not to say you won't

Ha!  I just was going back through some old fishing threads and found this. 

That is what I did.  My Iphone 5 does show the boundaries although I don't like them.  :angry:   LOL, the damned Canadian's got a WAY better deal out of it than we did.  That line on the west side of Strawberry Island is close!  Might as well lock me up now............................... :O