In need of a new bow sight...?

NYBuckHunter27

Yes you can spend 100 to 200 dollars for a pin sight or can consider to going to a slide sight. I went from a 4 pin sight to a slider sight and never looked back. I found due to the speed of these bows that pins were almost touching one to the other, and being the old fart I am ( 71) pins seemed to bleed together. I went to a slider sight with a fiber optic scope. I sighted in and marked the sight for 15,25,35,45, and 55 yards. I preset and leave on 25 yards when hunting. So far I never have had to adjust when hunting. But for the 3D and just shooting a field round it is the tops.

Well said Bill. Although I have younger eyes, I too have become concerned with the fact that my pins are jam packed together, and I like the idea of a single pin that I could dial in to an exact yardage. Take a look at the HHA OL-5019, I have read nothing but good things about HHA single-pins, and for $120 dollars you'll probably never buy another sight again, I know it will definitely be my next one.

I have a 5 pin Copper John Dead Nutz sight and love it. Unless you find a used one, they may be a bit out of your price range though. I looked at slide sights, but knowing my luck, the buck of a lifetime would step out and Id forget to adjust the sight. Im used to what pins are what. K.I.S.S.

I shoot a trophy ridge micro cypher 5 pin site. Haven't hunted with it yet, but have shot hundreds of arrows since I bought it at the end of December. It's super bright in low light conditions and has micro adjustments for fine tuning. I think it was $99 at BPS. Would definitely recommend it.

I have used for years and yes the need for a change with a single pin could cause you a concern, but in over 12 years it never has occurred for me, I preset to 25 yards and in the woods I hunt most times when you see the deer it is coming into the 25 yard range. I like that if I did setup on a woods / pasture funnel area I could if needed change the pin to a longer distance. I use hear a lot of guys say they used the wrong pin in that instance when they had to shoot fast.

I have used for years and yes the need for a change with a single pin could cause you a concern, but in over 12 years it never has occurred for me, I preset to 25 yards and in the woods I hunt most times when you see the deer it is coming into the 25 yard range. I like that if I did setup on a woods / pasture funnel area I could if needed change the pin to a longer distance. I use hear a lot of guys say they used the wrong pin in that instance when they had to shoot fast.

Can it be slid with one hand? i've never seen one used personally, i have heard they are very accurate though.

More power to those of you with younger eyes, 10/10 vision, take only heart shots &/or have the confidence to shoot to 40yds+. Last year I removed pins from my Black Gold sight and began using only two. Main pin is good from 10 -> 25yds, +/-2" at the min/max within that pin's range. Just shoot a little low or high if deer is closer or further. Second pin is for 27 -> 35yds, also +/-2". Any compound bow less than 4-5 years old should shoot the same or better than mine. It's great to be able to watch a deer come into range for several minutes, running the shot through your mind, looking at possible shot opportunities and your pre-ranged yardage reference points. Too many times I've had just seconds to react and when you're in "auto" mode at full draw looking at 4-5 pins or need to adjust a sight..... This works for my style of hunting in the thicker woods or edges of thickets. May not be useful for hunting along the edges of fields, etc. Also a big fan of the KISS principle.