A good day

5.9cummins

Yea but so are the home values, which could be a good thing depending on where you are in your life, but everything's relative, it is a beautiful state, good luck....

As far as I can tell house prices are comparable if not more expensive than they are where i currently am.

I'd move mid-west in a heartbeat if my wife would allow and the family wasn't tied down here. And of course, there is the career component. Certainly not a bad place here, but would love to move out that way someday.

Best of luck out there 5.9.

I'd love to make to IN to hunt some day. Maybe we can meet up then.

Edited by phade

We lived outside of Omaha, Nebraska for 4 years and did enjoy the lifestyle, lower costs in just about everything, except food. Great pheasant, quail, rabbit hunting. Public land was available, but in limited supply.  Most of the hunting was done on large private farms which to get permission on was a crap shoot.

Moved to Plattsburgh, New York and now have moved to Bloomingdale, New York.  Yes, costs are higher, but other things are better.  Great roads, lots of public land, great fishing and hunting,  Also, no tornado's or damp winters.  

Maybe I am an optimist, where ever I live, I find all the good virtues of that place and enjoy the possibilities.  LOL 

• 1 month later...

This is the first time I have been back on since i left NY. I saw the taxes thread and it warmed my heart NOT TO BE IN NY. Sorry but im lovin this.

Not quite settled yet. Had two houses fall through so hopefully the third time is the charm. Did i mention we dont have school taxes in IN. Schools are funded through sales taxes (which are still a full 2 percent less than NY in most cases).

Here are some interesting statistics.

NY number of state employees = 300,000       NY populaiton = 18.5 million

IN  number of state employees = 30,000          IN  population = 6.5 million

If that werent enough i met a guy through work who offered to let me hunt on his land 200 acres (he shot a 17pt that grossed 170 out of the field behined his house last year). Hes got a wall full of deer just like that one. Everywhere i go i see RACKS on the walls and the biggest sets of sheds you ever saw, HEHE its like being a kid in a candy store.

• Like 1