Adding a pin to my sight?

josephmrtn

I'm not sure if I missed it or not. If you are keeping your shots to under 20 yds. I would recommend 1 pin..kis.. left out the second s lol..I would think, even a slower bow and or heavy arrow will shoot down a 5" pipe to 20 yds. Sight it in so its 2.5 " high at 10 and it'll be 2.5" low at 20..the deer will never know the difference. Put some branches or flags out at 20 yds from your stand. Then as long as the deer is inside the "kill zone" he is dead meat .no estimating ranges just put pin on vitals and shoot. Imo this makes one less thing to worry over or misjudge during the exitement of seeing and shooting a deer.

Oh yeah take Mike up on his offer. He's alright..I guess.lol...Good luck!

• Like 1

With a spine of .400 they are perfect for him.

Now try selecting single cam/hard cam which the bow actually is. A medium cam is more of a round cam, not oval. That bow has Z Cams on it which are hardly a medium cam. 99% of cams are hard cams unless they are almost round.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

Now try selecting single cam/hard cam which the bow actually is. A medium cam is more of a round cam, not oval. That bow has Z Cams on it which are hardly a medium cam. 99% of cams are hard cams unless they are almost round.

Round cams are round cams, this bow from 2000 has medium cams. Medium cams and round wheels are a thing of the past now but weren't in 2000.

So are you now argueing that he should shoot a stiffer spine?

• Like 1

Round cams are round cams, this bow from 2000 has medium cams. Medium cams and round wheels are a thing of the past now but weren't in 2000.

So are you now argueing that he should shoot a stiffer spine?

Not trying to argue at all. Just pointing out the fact that the Easton arrow chart does not have those arrows listed as a suitable choice for that setup. Z Cams are hard cams no matter how you want to look at it. Having the proper setup is a big piece of the puzzle. I sure would hate to see the kid go out and wound deer because he cant hit the broadside of a barn.

Is the bow set for your draw length? Instead of trying to deal with the doewacker's settings (good donation). If the draw length is to long then the break point will be off as well as peep and such. Get the arrows cut for your length. Make sure the fletching is good. Blazers should work fine. That's a pretty fancy sight for just starting. The two pins will be fine that you have. Basically have you RESET the bow for your dimensions? If that is an older bow then the arrows should be fine especially if you have to shorten them. That bow with those arrows should be able to utilize two pins to 30 yards, probably a 16 and a 26 yard settings with holding on the shoulder blade at 30. Don't go to much over 15' in stand height. Pick a spot on the deer like a tuft of hair or certain rib or vision an apple or one of those little orange sticky bulleyes in the V. Coonhunter had a good suggestion to get the bow set up for your own person from a pro shop or somebody in the area that can do those few minor settings adjustments if need be. Somebody might have a bow press and arrow saw in your area and if they do could help you a bit. It sounds like with your enthusiasm that you need a fletching jig and vanes instead of the sight.

Is the bow set for your draw length? Instead of trying to deal with the doewacker's settings (good donation). If the draw length is to long then the break point will be off as well as peep and such. Get the arrows cut for your length. Make sure the fletching is good. Blazers should work fine. That's a pretty fancy sight for just starting. The two pins will be fine that you have. Basically have you RESET the bow for your dimensions? If that is an older bow then the arrows should be fine especially if you have to shorten them. That bow with those arrows should be able to utilize two pins to 30 yards, probably a 16 and a 26 yard settings with holding on the shoulder blade at 30. Don't go to much over 15' in stand height. Pick a spot on the deer like a tuft of hair or certain rib or vision an apple or one of those little orange sticky bulleyes in the V. Coonhunter had a good suggestion to get the bow set up for your own person from a pro shop or somebody in the area that can do those few minor settings adjustments if need be. Somebody might have a bow press and arrow saw in your area and if they do could help you a bit. It sounds like with your enthusiasm that you need a fletching jig and vanes instead of the sight.

I'm starting to think its a lost cause. Myself and others here have tried to convince him to get the proper arrows and have the bow tuned by a professional and he just kept claiming poverty. Now he posts pics of the new sight he bought :rolleyes:. Don't ask for help if you're not willing to listen. I'll bet either (a) that bows way out of tune, (B) those arrows are not properly spined for his setup or © he's the worst shot in the history of man. My moneys and a&b!

I'm starting to think its a lost cause. Myself and others here have tried to convince him to get the proper arrows and have the bow tuned by a professional and he just kept claiming poverty. Now he posts pics of the new sight he bought :rolleyes:. Don't ask for help if you're not willing to listen. I'll bet either (a) that bows way out of tune, (B) those arrows are not properly spined for his setup or © he's the worst shot in the history of man. My moneys and a&b!

This explains a lot as to why you don't know how to determine the difference between a hard and medium cam or how to select an arrow.

That PICTURE of a sight is just that, a picture. He didn't by a new sight he just used that to help illustrate his question.

So is he under or over spined in your opinion?

This explains a lot as to why you don't know how to determine the difference between a hard and medium cam or how to select an arrow.

That PICTURE of a sight is just that, a picture. He didn't by a new sight he just used that to help illustrate his question.

Did he not just post that his new stuff came from Cabelas today or did I imagine that? Why are you getting all hostile? According to the chart he's underspined, but that's probably only the beginning of his problems with the setup.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

Did he not just post that his new stuff came from Cabelas today or did I imagine that? Why are you getting all hostile? According to the chart he's underspined, but that's probably only the beginning of his problems with the setup.

Hahaha. Go reread what he typed. He bought a pin and had a slight problem. Not a sight.

Did you look at other manufacturers charts too?

I advise you to stop giving him advice if you get so upset with his arrow selection and choices.

Lol

Hahaha. Go reread what he typed. He bought a pin and had a slight problem. Not a sight.

Did you look at other manufacturers charts too?

I advise you to stop giving him advice if you get so upset with his arrow selection and choices.

Lol

I'm not the one getting upset. You're the one getting all defensive. Probably because you don't want him to know you sold him a bow that's all out of whack. I'm just trying to help him and I'm not the only one to suggest that he needs new arrows.

I'm not the one getting upset. You're the one getting all defensive. Probably because you don't want him to know you sold him a bow that's all out of whack. I'm just trying to help him and I'm not the only one to suggest that he needs new arrows.

Gave sold same thing I guess accourding to you. Haha

I told him up front it would need tuning because I gave him all new stuff on it to get him going. I did do a quick tune and sent him pics of the group I shot with it if you really want to know too. Kinda hard to do a full tune with out him there with me.

If you really think he is under spined because you think he has hard cams god bless you.

I'm still laughing about you thinking he bought a new sight because he posted a pic. Lol

What to Do?

My stuff came from Cabelas today... most of it will work but this new pin I bought is a slight prob... the screw is about 1000th too big to fit in the slot (where the other sight pins are)

EXAMPLE:

attachicon.giflw1200_5b29_bk_light_l.JPG

Sounds to me like he bought stuff from Cabelas. They don't send you free crap! I'm still laughing at the fact that you think those arrows are perfect for that bow! You're probably one of those guys who thinks if you can hit a paper plate then you're good to go!LOL!

Edited by Arrow Flinger

Sounds to me like he bought stuff from Cabelas. They don't send you free crap! I'm still laughing at the fact that you think those arrows are perfect for that bow! You're probably one of those guys who thinks if you can hit a paper plate then you're good to go!LOL!

Are you drunk or something?

He bought stuff from Cabelas....not a sight but a sight pin, glue ect.

I gave him the bow...not sold.  Gave means it was free in case you need a chart for that.

You seem to be mixing things up or something. I do give you credit for being king of assumptions, congrats on that.

Are you drunk or something?

He bought stuff from Cabelas....not a sight but a sight pin, glue ect.

I gave him the bow...not sold.  Gave means it was free in case you need a chart for that.

You seem to be mixing things up or something. I do give you credit for being king of assumptions, congrats on that.

I'm not mixing anything up. He's shooting the wrong arrows, his bow is more than likely way out of tune, he needs to get the bow to someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not the only one that has told him that, so I don't know what your beef is with me. I'm sorry I tried to help. Shoulda known better on this forum, all you guys like to do is bicker!

• Like 1

Ha Dinsdale! That's funny!

Hey watch out for that Doewhacker. One time he tricked me into paying $400 just to guide me in my Uncle's back yard! Then he brought Steve863 and the rest of the crew a few days later. Ruined my hunting spot I tell ya.

Most of that $400 went to your uncle, thats what he charged to show me where your stands were. Nice guy.

I'm not mixing anything up. He's shooting the wrong arrows, his bow is more than likely way out of tune, he needs to get the bow to someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not the only one that has told him that, so I don't know what your beef is with me. I'm sorry I tried to help. Shoulda known better on this forum, all you guys like to do is bicker!

And thats why you are the king of assumptions. You are able to ascertain all of that from a kid asking about adding another pin to his sight. He is shooting heavy GPI arrows, low poundage, and a older slower bow, of course it will have an arc and drop more than other set ups. He doesn't plan on exceeding his limits he set for himself (which is comendable by the way). His spine choice's are literally on the line between .400 and .350 and you are having a fit over it. He can do a few things to change that with out buying new arrows (which you apparently dont know), one he could turn the poundage down 3 pounds, two he could shorten his arrows--which Im sure he will as he is shortening his draw soon. Neither of those things will have a staggering effect on how HE shoots.

Hey watch out for that Doewhacker. One time he tricked me into paying $400 just to guide me in my Uncle's back yard! Then he brought Steve863 and the rest of the crew a few days later. Ruined my hunting spot I tell ya.

I left off how I made Joe unknowingly agree to secret fee's with that bow deal, if he kills a deer in the next two seasons he owes me $300, or exclusive hunting rights to the family farm. I'm sneaky like that.

Some good advice on this thread(some..lol).Correct draw length is probably one of the most critical aspects that guys have mentioned..without that nothing else is right. It may work but it makes your job tougher...wingspan devided by2.5 usually gets you close.. I know , years ago when I went from. 29" to a correct 27.5" my groups went from paperplate size at 30 to 4" practically overnight.

And thats why you are the king of assumptions. You are able to ascertain all of that from a kid asking about adding another pin to his sight. He is shooting heavy GPI arrows, low poundage, and a older slower bow, of course it will have an arc and drop more than other set ups. He doesn't plan on exceeding his limits he set for himself (which is comendable by the way). His spine choice's are literally on the line between .400 and .350 and you are having a fit over it. He can do a few things to change that with out buying new arrows (which you apparently dont know), one he could turn the poundage down 3 pounds, two he could shorten his arrows--which Im sure he will as he is shortening his draw soon. Neither of those things will have a staggering effect on how HE shoots.

You're totally missing my point. I'm not having a fit over anything. I'm trying to tell him to start with proper matching arrows for the bow. After he gets those he should get to a pro shop and have the bow tuned properly, then worry about buying pins/glue or whatever the hell he bought from Cabelas. You need to quit telling him those arrows are OK for that bow. Do we need to re-read this thread he started?

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/16549-groups-not-coming-together-is-this-why/

No However that is going to change as soon as i get the correct module from Martin... Thats what im gonna do...

Your right

I dont think so... but i am gonna take my now to the bow shop when i take my bow course...

Hey Joe.....

Just think now you are just a young guy and you already have 2 dudes fighting over ya'.... 

Not sure if thats good or bad, maybe depends what side of the plate you are batting from.....

I'm not judging.

LMAO I would rather it be two chicks... ;)

LOL

Some good advice on this thread(some..lol).Correct draw length is probably one of the most critical aspects that guys have mentioned..without that nothing else is right. It may work but it makes your job tougher...wingspan devided by 2.5 usually gets you close.. I know , years ago when I went from. 29" to a correct 27.5" my groups went from paperplate size at 30 to 4" practically overnight.

LOL thats what im hoping happens for me

+1

Hey Guys dont get so worked up over me! LOL you act like deer season starts tommorow! I may as well admit it to you, i really doubt that im gonna shoot a deer with my bow this yr anyhow... Im content to shoot one with my gun...

You're totally missing my point. I'm not having a fit over anything. I'm trying to tell him to start with proper matching arrows for the bow. After he gets those he should get to a pro shop and have the bow tuned properly, then worry about buying pins/glue or whatever the hell he bought from Cabelas. You need to quit telling him those arrows are OK for that bow. Do we need to re-read this thread he started?

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/16549-groups-not-coming-together-is-this-why/

Sorry man i needed that stuff... the glue was for a nock that popped off and the silicone tubing was for my peep sight (Mine broke)

Hey guess what? I went and used the Easton arrow finder thingy and this is what i found...

Looks like i AM using the correct arrows after all... they are just cut one inch to long.... they are supposed to be 29" instead of 30"

post-2634-0-61207700-1375365766_thumb.jp

• Like 1