When do folks put their cameras in

I lost a $220 Cuddeback on state land last year. The camera had only been out a week or so and was located in an area surrounded by thick brush and multiflora rose. Hard to imagine anyone actually going in there. In fact unless they were familiar with the only nearly imperceptible trail to the spot, I dare say that it is nearly impossible for anyone to get there. Anyway, I learned my lesson. Even areas that are considered to be nearly inpenetratable, or even spots that are so far in that you would consider them absolutely safe, it is likely only a matter of time before you will lose a camera to these thieves.

I bought bike locks at the dollar store for my cheap cams and use a python cable for my good cams. They won't stop a person who really wants the cam but will stop I'd say 80% of the half decent people who would stop at the fact there is a lock and wouldn't go home and drive back with cutters. Who knows though, some people have no ethics. I personally would not touch some one else's, and if I was curious to see the pictures, I'd leave a note on the camera or possibly check the sd card in my camera and put it back.

Never did I even think of the fact that cams can scare away deer. I still doubt that it affects their patterning and will change anything but I don't want to leave it even a chance of ruining a monster buck for me so ill be high mounting all mine in the future.

Poor cam use technique and the cams will easily shift a mature buck pattern. I don't even know how people can try to surmise otherwise.

Who knows though, some people have no ethics. I personally would not touch some one else's, and if I was curious to see the pictures, I'd leave a note on the camera or possibly check the sd card in my camera and put it back.

You should not touch what is not yours!

Edited by Paula

I never had any taken, but then again, I live and hunt in a remote wilderness area. I once hunted down by the NY/PA border, I think it was near Roscoe.....never again.  If a cam was up in that area, I would think it would be a "goner"

Yes, hunting in my area is tough.  Deer are bigger, but also lot less in numbers than south of I-90.  Went out on my property this afternoon with my four wheeler and when I stopped a young fawn looked at me at 30 yards,, then ran 20 yards, stopped and looked at my for about 30 seconds, ran another 20 yards and did it all over again.  Once it was gone, I looked to my right and there was a doe feeding another fawn and they were about 60 yards away in the thick woods.  After a while the doe got wind of me,stopped feeding the fawn and walked away.  Tail down.......I have seen more deer this year then ever before.

During last season I had my camera hung in the woods at my job. During that time we had some tree companies coming in from the south to clear the power lines all over the state after the power outages. Well, they came to my job for a few days and I should have taken my camera down but I had kinda forgotten about it. Well I went to check it one day and it was gone. I thought I had misplaced it but when I examined the area I saw 2 D batteries on the ground and a bunch of mounts of toilet paper from where the 40 mexicans from the tree company were shitting in the woods.

I tracked the manager down in my car and showed him the spot and told him he owes me $100 for the Primos Truth Cam and card. He talked to his guys and no one admitted to it but he made everyone cough up a few dollars and he gave me $100 in cash a few days later. Kinda glad because Primos Truth cam is probably the worst item I've bought in years so I was happy to spend the $100 on a covert.

During last season I had my camera hung in the woods at my job. During that time we had some tree companies coming in from the south to clear the power lines all over the state after the power outages. Well, they came to my job for a few days and I should have taken my camera down but I had kinda forgotten about it. Well I went to check it one day and it was gone. ...................... tracked the manager down...............told him he owes me $100 for the Primos Truth Cam and card. He talked to his guys and no one admitted to it but he made everyone cough up a few dollars and he gave me $100 in cash a few days later.

Good for you.....

• Like 1