When do folks put their cameras in

Morning y'all. Thinking about wait for Sept 1, putting in a couple of mock scrapes of my stand and hanging my camera? Thoughts, I'll cable the camera to the tree and check it on the weekends to make sure it doesn't get stollen. Will be on CoOp land with it, but pretty far back in. I figure bySept 1, thoughts and wisdom?

Thanks. Public land for is a little worrisome.

PUBLIC land is not worrisome, it's the unscoupoulus people that pass by your "stuff" and think, "Hey, I found it, must have been abandoned, so I will take it.".  I hope they never come into my neck of the public woods......

Maybe you should put a note on your camera, "THERE IS ANOTHER CAMERA TAKING A PICTURE OF YOU!!  DON'T TAKE THIS ONE"  LOL 

• Like 2

I have cameras on public land, the back of the cameras is a note "If you can read this, the camera has emailed me a picture of you already. Please put this camera back. Thank you."

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

I have cameras on public land, the back of the cameras is a note "If you can read this, the camera has emailed me a picture of you already. Please put this camera back. Thank you."

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

This is great!.....have you ever had a problem with your cameras?

• Like 1

I always attempt to find a spot that I think no one goes to in public land. There is a place rit near my house which is a very popular place to walk your dogs, that bing said not many people, like to hunt it because they say everyone scares the deer away. I've found dense thick spots where deer love to hide and travel, placing my cams there I've seen some nice ones. I just always hang them with a cable lock and hope no one finds them. Best of luck!

Eagle Rider, if you're talking about the co-op land on Long Island, my best recommendation would be to make sure that you protect yourself from ticks and chiggers if you're going into the woods on Sept 1.

It's never too early to hang cams and get a general idea where they are and what size deer you are looking at when it comes hunting season. One thing mentioned which is a good point is to consider hanging it high in the tree pointing down. Most people won't look up. Look online on the forums and find some DIY tree mounts. I've made a mount that works well. You need two eye bolts, one with the lag bolt end (pointed and threaded) the other the size to screw in the pre threaded hole on your trail cam if it has one(usually on back or bottom) then run a bolt through those two eyelets and use three washers, one in between the two eyes and the other two on either side of the bolt. Use a nut at the end and tighten when you get the angle on the tree right and screw the lag bolt end into the tree. It's easier if you bring a drill in the woods and pre drill a hole. Hope you can visualize what I was describing. It just keeps the cam up and out of sight, and will get you some awesome pictures too!<br />Best of luck.

This is great!.....have you ever had a problem with your cameras?

Never had 1 stolen yet. Not sure if anyone has ever tried and read the note?

However, this year I did get a picture of a guy walking towards the camera about 10 feet away and 2 minutes later a picture of the same guy's t-shirt in front of the camera. So for 2+ full minutes, he was right near the camera, maybe he saw the note? Not sure, but my glad my camera was still there. I then moved it.

I have my cams at "deer height" which gives me a larger field of view and catches more deer when they are 50+ feet away.  So far the deer have not shied away from the cameras, in fact they come back for more portraits.  Yes, they look into the lens once in a while, even get as close as all I see in the picture is their ears or back.  So, this tells me that they are not afraid of the little box on the tree......

I have my cams at "deer height" which gives me a larger field of view and catches more deer when they are 50+ feet away.  So far the deer have not shied away from the cameras, in fact they come back for more portraits.  Yes, they look into the lens once in a while, even get as close as all I see in the picture is their ears or back.  So, this tells me that they are not afraid of the little box on the tree......

You should try video. Sure, some deer are inquisitive. I've got hundreds of vids of deer licking my cams. But, they certainly are not mature bucks. Big difference.

• Like 1

I lost a $220 Cuddeback on state land last year. The camera had only been out a week or so and was located in an area surrounded by thick brush and multiflora rose. Hard to imagine anyone actually going in there. In fact unless they were familiar with the only nearly imperceptible trail to the spot, I dare say that it is nearly impossible for anyone to get there. Anyway, I learned my lesson. Even areas that are considered to be nearly inpenetratable, or even spots that are so far in that you would consider them absolutely safe, it is likely only a matter of time before you will lose a camera to these thieves. 

Thanks guys this is some great info.  I think putting them up higher is better.  Here's why....  watch it.

Thanks for the youtube link!

Very interesting data......I think I need to make some placement changes.  LOL

Thanks for the youtube link!

Very interesting data......I think I need to make some placement changes.  LOL

Well, for the past few days I checked all my cams and after watching the YouTube link and MY OWN VIDEOS, I moved and raised all my cams.  It is interesting as my videos corroborated that what I saw on YouTube. 

Ironically, it was only during the daytime videos (in color) where the deer were suspicious and one even jumped.  This did not happen during any of the nighttime videos (in B&W).  I attached some links of my videos to prove the point.

http://youtu.be/AMwNphU92uA     no jump

http://youtu.be/fdcT--B0HYw        The doe is wary of the cam!

http://youtu.be/MAKo3S1z_7c      no jump

http://youtu.be/vVpPTZvioCU       no jump

http://youtu.be/QXMGT_cKcAQ   jump

http://youtu.be/a9-nIkIP9Tw          no jump

http://youtu.be/irDu1tvTBHw       no jump