LI bow hunting

greybeard

I haven't bow hunted on Long Island in over 20 years, but am considering it now. The regs, as I recall, were originally copied from the Westchester rules and therefore no bow stamp was required. . So when I hunted,I just had my big game license .

I purchased the Sportsman's license yesterday, but not an archery license. Can I legally bow hunt on LI in the October thru Dec. season  with only that license.. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but In looking at the NYS Hunting Guide, it isn't clear to me.

I have my bow  hunter training certificate, but it looks like moths ate it . I can see my name, but not the date.

• Like 1

The reg's say an archery license is needed to bowhunt during the archery season...........Suffolk's archery season is actually considered the "regular season", so I think all that is needed is the certificate, I always bought the tag just to avoid problems. Make a call and talk to someone at the region 1 HQ to be sure. 

Edited by jjb4900

jjb.. I was in contact with the DEC on 2 other issues and just figured I'd spare them any more of my endless questions, and, or requests, and ask here.

Thanks Papa Bear..I got those...

I'm more into small game, and maybe waterfowl again, but I'm starting to get the bug for deer. So glad I know the rules now.

B.

You are correct that 3S and 1C does not need a bow license to partake taking deer from Oct 1st till the end of the season. I too was unsure, so I called both the DEC at 1C and 3S to verify. You should be good to go.

PS, see if you can get that certificate replaced if possible from the original instructor.

Good luck this season B.

Shawn, I took the course during the Middle Ages, soI don't know if the instructor is still around, but it's a good thought. I think I can read his name on the certificate(I gotta look again later), and maybe the DEC can help. Like I mentioned earlier, I do have the certificate, but it's really beat up. I probably have some old hunting licenses with bow stamps too from when I bow hunted upstate.

Like I mentioned above, I've been away from deer hunting for a  long  time and I'm not sure if I want to go back to it, but if I do I want to be ready. Seems like the rules are the same except that I have to carry my bow hunter course card.

B., when I took my course in both Hunters Safety and Bow, it was communicated to us that a replacement cert. is only obtainable via the original instructor. I hope the DEC can help in regards to this. If not, you'll end up losing a day of Striper fishing if you really wanted to bow hunt again, and you should! Maybe you can show me a thing or two!

Shawn, I may be able to use my certificate..I see DEC guys sometimes when I'm out.. So I'll put it in my car and have someone look at it.. I'm old and wrinkled too and I'm still somewhat useful, so maybe it'll be ok. to use the old wrinkled card.

It's generally hard for me to give up days in November from bass/blue fishing.. .. .so I'll hunt in the morning and fish when I get back if we have a good fall run...... I wish that I was good enough to show you something., but thanx.

side note:

When I took the Hunter Safety Course, almost 50 years ago,, no one, as far as I remember, told us(my friends and I) not to lose the Hunter Safety  Course Card. We all just assumed that you only needed it to get the 1st license. I just found out that in at least one State, and probably more, they don't accept the license, you need to show the certificate to get a non resident hunting license..The one State will not accept the Bow Course as proof. So keep that Hunter Education Card. in a safe place

( I think now they tell new hunters to keep it).. just thought I'd pass it on,

Greybeard, getting a replacement certificate is just a phone call. Call 1-888-hunt-ed2. They only go back to 1980 so hopefully you took it after that. I lost mine about 10 years ago and it was really easy to get a new one. I think I had it within a few days if I remember correctly. Good luck

pistolp.. Thank you for that info, I may need it...

I sent a letter, on Friday, requesting it and even enclosed my first 2 hunting licenses, and a few other documents to show how long I've been hunting

.. I wish I would have asked here first.

If I don't get a replacement based on the letter, I will call that number, but I took the course in 1964. Long story, but I took it again sometime around 1980, so maybe it's on file.

as it's written appears to recognize it as archery season

"Present hunting opportunities exist in the form of an archery season from October 1 to December 31, and a three week shotgun and muzzleloader season in January."

should answer the question

Mandatory Hunter Education: A hunter education course is required for persons who cannot show proof that they have ever possessed a hunting license. The general course is a minimum 10 hours in length. DEC honors hunter education certificates and sporting licenses from all other states and countries.

Mandatory Bowhunter Education: Hunters wishing to bowhunt for deer and bear must take an additional 8 hour minimum bowhunter education course. DEC also honors bowhunter education certificates issued by:

B.

You are correct that 3S and 1C does not need a bow license to partake taking deer from Oct 1st till the end of the season. I too was unsure, so I called both the DEC at 1C and 3S to verify. You should be good to go.

PS, see if you can get that certificate replaced if possible from the original instructor.

Good luck this season B.

this cannot be correct as a Bow License is required to take deer with a bow on Long Island, however your regular season tag can be used to tag a deer as well (you still require a bow license)

B.

Good luck this season B.

this cannot be correct as a Bow License is required to take deer with a bow on Long Island, however your regular season tag can be used to tag a deer as well (you still require a bow license)

This information is wrong Danny.

Hunters wishing to bowhunt for big game must present either:

1. Proof that he or she successfully completed

an approved bowhunter education course; (Note: Approved courses are International Bowhunter Education Program Courses or an equivalent course. If in doubt, call toll free — 1-888-HUNT-ED2) or

2. Proof that he or she previously held a bowhunting license or stamp issued in 1980 or later; if proof is from prior to 1980, he/she must take an additional 8 hour minimum bowhunter education course.

Bowhunter Privilege.

Qualifications: Current year license to hunt big game, PLUS acceptable Bowhunter Education Certificate, OR Bowhunting Stamp issued in 1980 or later, OR NYS Jr. Bowhunting License issued in 1980 or later. Privileges: Hunt deer and bear with bow only during bowhunting season.

NOTE: Residents hunting bear or deer with a bow during the regular season must possess both a valid big game license and either a current bowhunting privilege or a valid Bowhunter Education Certificate. This includes Westchester and Suffolk counties.

Above is copied from DEC guide page 12.

Since 1C ad 3S does not have a bow season, and falls under regular season, a bow license is NOT required. The bow certificate still is.