Hornady XTP

cdmckane

Anybody know where to get some 250 grain Hornady XTP .452 pistol bullets? I've been using Hornady SST/TC ShockWaves but I've heard great things about the XTP's mated with MMP sabots and want to give them a try before it gets too close to the season.  Any place I find them online has them on backorder.  Trying to find a shop that has some in stock.  THanks.

I bought mine at gander mtn. i only used mine with white hot pellets which suck , the guy i work with swears by the Hornady XTP 250 which is why i bought them to try , when i first shot Blackhorn , i used the 300g shockwave and i was dead accurate and never changed my load since , i never really put the XTP through any real shooting other than with the crappy white hots.

Edited by Jeremy K

Ive been using this combo for 10 years . I use the 300 grain xtp bullet.You can expect awesome groups. I use 80 grains of pyrodex. For some reason using pellets blew the group out a little bit. I have a knight rifle. Good luck

I bought the mmp sabots and xtp bullets at Cabelas.

Edited by Fishon

With the ammo craze it might be hard to find them, I use the .452 300gr in my ml. On line try cabelas, graff and sons, powder valley, midway or mid south shooter supply. Hopefully one of them has it.

I don't use the Mmp i use the crush rib sabot.the xtp probably has killed more deer then any other bullet on the market .

If you can find them try the speer deep curls in the same .452 250 or 300 grain. They are a better made bonded bullet.

I currently use the SST, which are very similar to the FTX.  I've had great luck with them, but I've heard and read a lot about the XTP's and wanted to give them a try.  If they perform as good, or better than the SST's, I'll stick with them.  If not, I'll switch back

Edited by cdmckane

I'm sure they won't. I wanted the 250s because I only like to change one variable at a time. Both of my MLs are dialed in with 250gr SSTs so I wanted to go with 250gr XTPs.

Im with you 100% on only changing 1 variable at a time , i was just being a jackass.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using 300grn xtp's on top of two 50grn pyrodex pellets for years. Very accurate and work real well on deer. BUT....  they are hard to find now. I only have a few left and have been looking everywhere for them. Been thinking of just switching to shock waves because you can find them anywhere.  

Edited by ants

Can you buy your desired bullet in .45 caliber in the reloading section. Then purchase the sabot separately. This is a way cheaper way to assemble the same round they sell as 'black powder' ammo. You may be happy with shock waves but nothing messes with my confidence than switching things up after finding the right combo.